Wednesday, September 07, 2011

Ahhhhhh



It took thirteen years, but as of today all of my children are in school full-time. For the last two years, Neve has been in school in the mornings and napped most afternoons, so it doesn't feel much different. She's attending the public school down the street (the other kids are still at their private one), so she'll come home for lunch most days. It makes for an easy transition; I really can't say I'm nostalgic about my "baby" going to school full time.




Neve was anxious this morning - about her teacher, about her new classroom, about the location of the bathrooms, as well as other miscellaneous concerns. The zipper on her new backpack broke before we even got to school. Piece of crap Tinkerbell backpack. It only took Neve about an hour at the store to decide which one to get; now we get to do it all over again. Actually I think I'll do that on my own and just surprise her. Anyway, she was a little more relaxed when I picked her up at lunch, and even more so at the end of the day. Tomorrow she stays for lunch, so now she's anxious about that. It will be nice to get all the firsts over with. She really likes her teacher and says she's funny (in a good way) so I know she'll be fine.



Spencer pretended to be the least excited about starting school . He came downstairs this morning in his rattiest T-shirt and faded jean shorts. I made him change. His teacher this year is Lisa, our ex-babysitter, which we are all ecstatic about. Before school started, we practiced calling her by her teacher name - Mrs. X (not really - just trying to be stealthy and privacy-conscious). I made muffins this morning for the kids to give to their teachers; first thing Spencer says to her, "Here's a muffin for you, Lisa." That reminds me of the relationship I had with my grade five teacher, Ed.




Then there's Chloe. She lay awake for hours last night; her grade eight mind buzzing with excitement. It goes without saying that her outfit was carefully planned in advance, and despite her short night, she got up nice and early to do her hair and makeup. She's especially excited that this is the year they're allowed to leave the school grounds at lunch time. Dale's excited that he can just send money instead of making her a lunch. Major renovations have just been completed at the school (last year she was in a portable classroom) so everything is new and fresh and exciting.

As for me, I won't lie: I was eagerly looking forward to this day. It was a great summer and I felt like I juggled work and the kids better than most years. We had lots of fun, but I'm ready to move on and get back to routine. And if the summer weather continues to stick around, all the better. I think we should plan a Parents Day at the beach on Friday. Or at Darla's new pool?!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, no more pictures of Chloe with her short hair!!! She looks SO GROWN UP!!! How do you even let her out of the house???

I love that you are not overly nostalgic about them all being in school. I laughed today, reading everyone's facebook statuses about tears shed for their kids growing up and setting off to school. As the youngest of 4 children, all I got was a "good bye!" called down the hall from my mother's bedroom where she lay waiting for us all to leave so she could go back to sleep!

Sio.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you're not so nostalgic either...I was beginning to feel like I had no emotions. It was not sad at all for me dropping Ben at school yesterday...and I'm already planning the parent beach days for next year (Emeth is still at home...sniff).

Sheri-Lee