Thursday, September 29, 2011

Leaving on a jet plane

I've just finished the last of my work for the week, I'm all packed up, and off to Vancouver Island in the morning for a wedding. Dale is going to do his best at keeping things going at home; I have written him very detailed instructions on who needs to be where when. He doesn't seem as concerned about some of the little details as I think he should be. I have a feeling the boy whose birthday party Neve is invited to on Saturday will not be getting a card. I'll be happy if she even makes it to the party. It'll work out somehow and I'm sure when I get back, I will have love and appreciation and gratitude showered upon me for all the little things no one even knew I did. And then aliens will land in the back yard and bring me a giant cake, which Johnny Cash will leap out of and sing for me. It never hurts to dream.

My impending departure has raised Neve's anxiety to new heights. Today she said she thinks a boy threw up at school; she didn't actually see or hear that he had, but the teacher took him out of the room and when someone asked what was wrong, she said "Nothing." To Neve, that could only mean one thing.

It will be a lovely break from dealing with her anxiety and everything else. I am desperately in need of a holiday. It was a rough week. Yesterday I went to a funeral for a co-worker's wife who died very suddenly after having a fever for a few days. I've worked with her husband for over ten years, and have talked to her many times over the years. She had a great sense of humour and was a positive, vibrant person who obviously enjoyed life. The other Thursday when I went to work, there was a carrot cake in the kitchen that she had baked for us. A few days later she passed away. (Click here for her obituary.) Her husband and kids have been on my mind constantly; thankfully they have a very strong faith, but I'm so sad for them.

I am going to try to stay away from computers all weekend, so I'll meet you back here next week. Have a great weekend and hug your loved ones tight!!

6 comments:

Daniel said...

So sorry to hear about your coworker's wife - what a shock.

Poor Neve - hopefully she can get over this - that's no fun.

Hope you have a great time in Tofino - I'll wave to you as you fly overhead!

Anonymous said...

Oh Ellen, that is so sad. Especially when it is so unexpected like that. So sorry.

Glad you are getting away for the weekend, even if I won't get to see you!! I'll stand beside Dan so we can wave together.

A break from adorable Nevey's puke anxiety is a good thing!!!

Sio.

Sio.

Anonymous said...

Oh man...that is tough news about your colleague. Sorry to hear it.

Sheri-Lee

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful day. I have to admit I was nervous if I could keep up with the schedule of the kids events today; escpecally in regards to the birthday card (although I tried to look brave and relaxed in front of Ellen). It was all going pretty good today and I made sure that Neve made a card for the birthday party. Chloe took her over (it is great having a teenager) and called a few minutes later that there was no party today.

Anonymous said...

hahahahahahahahahahahaahah!!!!! FOR REAL???? oh my gosh - that is FUNNY!!!

Sio.

hahahahahahahahah!!!

Daniel said...

We definitely need to hear more of that story - did you send them over on Sunday instead of Saturday? Did L get the date wrong? Did Neve leave the gift and get cake anyway?!?!?