Tuesday, November 01, 2011

Bailey / November Challenge Day 1



(Bailey in the middle)


We’re still recovering from the excitement of Halloween, but it was time for another party tonight. My niece Bailey turned 18 today. I clearly remember the day she was born. My sister had gone to be induced that morning and I waited for a phone call all day. How times have changed – in this day and age, we could have been texting all day. But with limited technology, I didn’t hear a word all day, so I zipped straight to the hospital after work. I met Bob coming off the elevator – there he was in his light blue denim shirt saying, “We had a girl!”

At the time, my sister and I lived only a few blocks apart, so I got to see baby Bailey a lot in her first two months of life. Then Dale & I went to Japan and didn’t move back to Winnipeg until she was about to start Kindergarten. I’ve always been sad I missed most of her first five years, but we wrote lots of letters and talked on the phone and visited a few times a year. The reason we moved back to Winnipeg was to be near family and I try not to take it for granted (but I do). My kids are so lucky that their grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins play such a big part in their lives. I’m getting off topic, but to sum it up: Happy birthday, Bailey; you’re awesome and we love you to pieces!

Anyway – we all got to bed so late last night, and then I spent way too long in the shower trying to wash out the black hairspray. That stuff is horrific (I put an old pillowcase over my good one for night, but surprisingly it didn’t even get dirty). The kids were still asleep when I was done so I thought I’d do them a favour and let them sleep in, but Spencer was not pleased with me. He used to beg me almost every day to let him stay home from school; I don’t know if it’s because he loves his ex-babysitter teacher so much, but it’s very different this year. Anyway, it seems today was Day 4, which means he has gym first thing in the morning and for a kid who is not a big fan of sports or physical activity, MAN does he love gym. He was frantic as I quickly pulled clothes on a floppy Neve who would not wake up. I drove to school as fast as I could; Spencer had his face to the window the whole time so I wouldn’t see him blinking back tears (he’d love me for writing this), and we arrived about seven minutes late. I hope his gym class was worth the stress.

So here’s my goal for November … no, not a moustache … daily blog posts! I’ve been feeling blah lately and I thought maybe a challenge would help. November is National Novel Writing Month and since I’m not ambitious/crazy enough to do that at this point in my life, I’ll call this my Lazy Man’s NaNoWriMo. So if anyone wants to join the challenge, climb aboard the LMNNWM train. Until tomorrow …

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

She's calling you out Steve! Happy November Ellen.

Sheri-Lee

Daniel said...

Cannot believe that little Bailey is 18!!

Hmmm, am I up for a daily entry?

Stephen said...

Bring it princesses.

Stephen said...

(Not you Daniel)

L said...

haha, I knew I could count on you Steve! And you, Dan??

Back to Halloween for a minute - Dan, Janet's pumpkin carving involved a cat too. Not sure about Joan's...