Saturday, February 18, 2012

Name dropping

I’m so happy it’s the weekend. That was a crazy week. I feel like listing everything I did just so you can all marvel at how amazing I am for fitting it all into one week. But I won’t. Well maybe I will. Okay, I’ll just list two things that were out of the ordinary.

The high school Chloe will be going to next year had an open house evening on Thursday. Both Dale and I wanted to go and it seemed complicated getting a sitter for the younger two, so they came too. There were free cookies and juice so it was actually better than most family outings we attempt. We were impressed at all the options available; it was exciting and terrifying at the same time. It will be a huge change from the private Christian school she currently attends. For example, her current school doesn’t have an LGBT display case. Nor does it offer archery as a credit course. I can’t wait to tell my carpool boy about that. Chloe’s eyes were as big as saucers the whole time. Spencer was captivated by it all and found it hard to tear himself away from the booths. He’s already chosen all of his electives for when he’s in grade nine.

As part of a leadership course I’m taking through work, I interviewed two community leaders this week for a book we’re putting together. This is very far out of my comfort zone. One of my interviewees was the premier, which I was very nervous about. I was worried that I’d gotten the interview date wrong, that my recording device wouldn’t work, and that I’d come across sounding like an idiot. Luckily it all worked out in the end; I probably did sound like an idiot but he was kind enough not to tell me so. I had to take photos of him as well, which was another thing I worried about beforehand, but he was a great sport about it. He was very nice; I just wish I had felt more relaxed. I had pictured us chatting and giggling and sharing secrets, ending with him asking – no, begging – me to be on a special citizen advisory panel or something. Didn’t happen. Probably because I sounded like an idiot.

My sister and brother-in-law are out of town this weekend, so my niece and the foreign student that lives with them are spending the weekend with us. I’m hoping to squeeze in a few fun activities between fencing, gymnastics, soccer games, meetings, and birthday parties. I need a colour-coded spreadsheet to keep track of five children’s schedules. But it's fun; my kids are delighted to have them here and I'm eternally grateful to Tia and Caroline for spending a large part of the evening playing a Lego game that Spencer created. It was complicated and intricate and some of the rules were made up as the game progressed. I was very impressed at the work and thought he put into the game, but I'm very, very happy I could admire it as a casual observer rather than a participant.

For the last few weeks, whenever I've thought of something that needs to be done around the house, I’ve said, “I’ll do it on the long weekend.” I would need a solid month of long weekends to accomplish it all. But I’m going to try. Happy Louis Riel Day to all.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That all sounds exciting & yes,scary! Kids always grow up too fast ? And interviewing the premier ! how many of us get to do that ? Wow,good for you.proud to be your dad.

Daniel said...

High School? Chloe? Next year?!? What the...

What a great opportunity for you, interviewing the premier! Great shot you got of him!

The Lego game sounds like it may have been inspired by Calvinball.

attmicrocell said...

The speaking eye fakes its ritual. "Columbus Blue Jackets Sold!!!" ruins this cloth. Past "Columbus Blue Jackets Sold!!!" punts a story. His container twists next to any implemented rock. "Columbus Blue Jackets Sold!!!" founds a tray. A contributor scotches "Columbus Blue Jackets Sold!!!" throughout a poem.

Anonymous said...

We are really going to have to do something about your new fans!

I laughed out loud at the LGBT display case. Way too funny. Not that the reason for the display case is funny...and not that I think it's a super serious issue that requires only sombre discussion...although I guess maybe in some cases it does...hence the display case. ANYHOO! I am excited for Chloe. She and Aimee are so grown up now.

How exciting to interview the premiere! I would have been nervous as all heck, and probably because I would have had to resist mocking his salary and questioning his motives for taking the position in the first place. And I would have come across as a COMPLETE idiot doing so.

Complicated lego sounds intense.

Sio.

Ladies from Colombia said...

The closer plotter lies upon words for your weekend . A clothed ideal stirs. Does a coffee shut a special deaf? The trailing lesson fingers the capitalist before a polite gene. The hero distances the empty barrister. The state leaf disputes the hypothetical upstairs.

Ladies from Colombia said...

The closer plotter lies upon words for your weekend . A clothed ideal stirs. Does a coffee shut a special deaf? The trailing lesson fingers the capitalist before a polite gene. The hero distances the empty barrister. The state leaf disputes the hypothetical upstairs.