Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Seven



About eight years ago, Dale and I were quite happy with our million dollar family and thought that was the end of it. But little niggling thoughts and doubts began to take root and we couldn’t shake the feeling that a third little creature was meant to join us. We tried to talk ourselves out of it and came up with many good, legitimate reasons to stop at two. I really, really WANTED to not want a third child. But instinct was stronger than logic and within the year, Baby Neve was born.

Life would be different for me in a lot of ways if she hadn’t come along:

  • We wouldn’t have done our major house renovation, which means I wouldn’t have an anxiety attack every time I hear the word “renovation.”
  • If we hadn’t done our house reno, I wouldn’t have started a blog
  • I got to know people who are now some of my closest friends because they have kids the same age as Neve. I’m thinking specifically of my neighbour Karen (imagine life without our weekly happy hour) and Kristin (our boys are similar ages too, but the same-age girls really cemented the friendship).
  • I wouldn’t have a child in our neighbourhood public school, and wouldn’t have gotten to know so many great parents in our community.
  • We wouldn’t have a mini-van. If we weren’t still driving our awesome Sunfire, we’d likely have upgraded to a Ford Focus.
  • We would probably have gotten rid of all the toys in the house except for a box of guest toys and Spencer’s Lego. There would be no Barbies underfoot and Polly Pocket shoes lost in the carpet. The playroom would have been turned into a “media room” (whatever that is). Oh never mind, there would be no playroom without the reno.
  • There would not be 30 episodes of My Little Pony on the PVR.


And maybe I wouldn’t spend ten minutes a day searching for a stuffed puppy, but I’d laugh less, I’d get way fewer hugs and kisses, and life wouldn’t be as fun and colourful. She is almost always happy and positive, especially first thing in the morning. She overheard Chloe and Spencer talking about something their teacher said about if you fall asleep right when you go to bed, that means you’re sleep-deprived (not sure if I believe that). So the other morning she came to our room all excited and said, “Guess what? I’m sleep-depried! (she left out the ‘v’) I fell asleep right away and didn’t wake up until it was bright outside!”

As you've probably figured out, Neve turned seven today. She had a great day - she woke up to presents and balloons and freshly baked pumpkin muffins, wore a fancy new dress to school where she got lots of birthday attention and brought cupcakes for her class (the frosting looked awesome - wish I had taken a picture), fruit salad for lunch, more presents after school, Boston Pizza for dinner, and phone calls and cards from friends and family (thanks, everyone!). She felt very special and loved and was beaming all day long. She adds a spark of passion and energy to our lives and we couldn’t imagine it any other way. Happy birthday, Neve-Neve! We love you like crazy!

Displaying some of her seven-year-old wisdom and pointing out an error she noticed in the card Chloe gave her (Chloe left out a word).

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Nevie! We're glad you decided on a third, especially Bella. She absolutely adores her! Jim

Rose said...

Aww. She is so worth it! (I couldn't resist).

Daniel said...

Sometimes I still have the wisdom of a seven-year-old. :-\

We're glad too that you decided on one more - she's a sweetheart!

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday Neve!

xoDarla and Sadie (well all of us really)

Anonymous said...

Sometimes, Dan? Let me talk to Jenn...

Well, if Neve meant "Blog", I am THRILLED she was born!!! Where would all be if we didn't have the Worth It to look forward to??

HAPPY BIRTHDAY NEVE!!!

Sio.
xo

- said...

cool =]

Anonymous said...

We're glad too...especially with pre-arranged marriages making their come back. :P

Sheri-Lee