Monday, April 16, 2012

Photo of the Day #16



My theme this week is Black & White. I know it's another very broad theme, but that makes it easier for me to snap a photo at the end of the day when I'm tired and uncreative. Today's picture is a combination of last week's Close Up and B&W. Maybe I'll just add themes instead of changing them. Next week: B&W Close Up Faces. The following week: B&W Close Up Faces that are smiling. Nah, that's getting way too specific. Where am I going to find people smiling at 10:05 p.m.

Besides being an easily photographable object, the clock in today's picture represents the end of my day. Approximately eighty percent of my daily expectations are unrealistic. Somehow I always think I can squeeze in house cleaning, errands, laundry, painting projects and blogging on top of a full day of work. The fact that I never accomplish everything I want to does not deter me from setting those goals again the following day. And every day, at some point, I think "when I get everything done, I'm going to climb into bed early and read my book about the lives of Titanic survivors." That never happens. Even when I do finish most of my to-do list, there are always the unforeseen child-related time-eaters. For example, I spent well over an hour installing Minecraft for Spencer tonight. I don't think it should have taken that long, but our computer has a Linux operating system that was making everything complicated. I read a lot of tutorials and watched many YouTube how-to videos; it drives me crazy when I can't figure something like that out, but my persistence was eventually rewarded. At least if you call having Spencer addicted to yet another video game rewarding. He was sleeping by the time I finished, so he'll be pretty happy tomorrow - that's kind of rewarding. Plus while I was all stressed out working on it, he told me the next time he went to 7-11 he was going to buy me something. "But nothing too big," he said. I'm hoping that he'll love the game so much that his love for me will overflow and he'll decide to buy me something big after all, hopefully from the gift card section. It was actually a lucrative parenting day: when Neve came home for lunch, she ran upstairs and after a while she came down and said, "I want to give you this because you're so nice to me." It was a loonie and three quarters. I'm not sure what warranted that gesture, but she was very excited to give it to me. I'm going to spend it quickly because sometimes she asks for her gifts back.

Back to the clock. I'm going to try very hard to make more realistic goals for myself so that I don't feel defeated and discouraged every night at how little I accomplished. I'm going to focus on a couple of important things (the blog being one of them, of course) and learn to let other stuff go. I also want to re-train myself to not feel guilty for reading or relaxing when there is work to be done. I'll let you know how it goes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Ellen, how I can relate to not accomplishing what I want by day's end!

Just make your goal be "To do the best I can" and that is that.

You make me laugh, and I know I am not the only one. THAT is an amazing accomplishment to achieve every day, and I mean that. You are loved and we all look so forward to reading your blog each day - you are making people smile. that is so much better than a clean house!!!

xo Sio

Ps - which Titanic book are you reading? Chapter has so many right now. One I glanced through spoke of a nanny posing as the child's mother so she could get off the ship and then it led to the family being tragically separated. I need to know how that ended!! Last name was Allison.

Anonymous said...

Ellen, you are awesome. If I had a loonie and 3 quarters, I'd give them to you too.

Sheri-Lee