Wednesday, May 30, 2012

May showers bring ...?



The sun has finally come back today after three almost-solid days of rain.  I don’t know where it was or who gave it permission to stay away that long, but I’m so glad to have it back, I won’t ask any questions.  If there’s one thing I’ve learned, it’s that you do NOT want to be on the sun’s bad side.  The kids were going a little stir crazy yesterday so I got out the playdough, which hasn't been played with for a long, long time.  To my delight, it kept them happy for a long time and they even got it out again today.  Who knew?

Besides the one above, I haven’t taken many pictures lately, so I have no record of what I’ve been up to since I last blogged.  Off the top of my head, I remember going to my niece’s high school play on Friday night.  They performed Beauty and the Beast at MTYP and they did a really good job.  The sets and costumes and acting all exceeded my expectations, except for my niece because I already knew she’d be awesome. On the topic of nieces, my other niece left for central America today.  She'll be there six weeks working at a coffee plantation (I think - did I get that right?).  She had a rough start yesterday when her flight was cancelled because of mechanical trouble.  She came back home for night and left early this morning instead.  I just heard she arrived safely; looking forward to hearing all about her adventures there.  Maybe I'll convince her to write a guest post because she just LOVES blogs. 

On Saturday, Chloe and I did our last long training run before the half marathon.  We did the whole 13.1 miles and it felt pretty good.  We planned out a nice scenic running route to the Forks and beyond, but it felt like we ran through the entire city.  We managed to stick to our run 1 mile/walk 1 minute schedule for the most part, and I think we were both pleasantly surprised by how well it went.  I’m not going to say it was a barrel of fun, or that I wasn’t very, very happy to turn back onto Lindsay Street, but it could’ve been worse.  Barring any unforeseen problems like sickness, injury, or eating Starbursts for breakfast, we’re pretty confident we can do this.  There are still a few more weeks to go (Father’s Day), so we’ll do shorter runs until then.

On Sunday we went to a big family reunion on my mom’s side of the family.  With 13 siblings in the family, and most of those producing large families themselves (at five kids, ours was one of the smallest), it is a family of epic proportions.  Family reunions are rare, because the amount of planning that’s required is equal to that of a city putting in a bid for the Olympics.*  The actual Olympics might possibly require more work than the family gathering, but I’m not completely sure.  Anyway, thankfully a few people stepped up and made it happen.  The turnout seemed high and it was good to see relatives I haven’t seen for years.  Or ever, in some cases.

* Speaking of Olympics, every time I hear about the upcoming London games, this always comes to mind:




I’m sure this has put a staggering amount of pressure on the London Olympics organizing committee to prove them wrong. 

I’ve been pretty popular around here the last couple of days.  I scored Justin Bieber tickets for Chloe and her friend before they went on sale to the public.  Darla enlightened me that american express cardholders can get advance tickets, so I’m very relieved I can skip the craziness on Friday when the tickets go on sale.  I very clearly remember the stress of purchasing tickets to his last concert: two computers set up, clicking the refresh button until the second they went on sale.  Then my Ticketmaster account wouldn’t work and I had to set up a whole new account while the clock ticked in the bottom corner.  My heart is pounding just thinking about it.  The adrenaline rush wasn’t as great this time around, but that’s okay.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hooray for you and Justin Bieber tickets. Maybe I should try to get some for my niece...are they stupid expensive?

Sheri-Lee

L said...

That depends what your definition of stupid expensive is, but I would say yes. Although there is a range - I think $54, $85, $106 - something like that. But can you really put a price on being the best auntie ever?

Anonymous said...

The american express trick praise goes solely to Mike. That clip is very funny! YOu are making me sad that I purged all our play doe toys.

Anonymous said...

Oh WOW and YAY for Biebs tickets!!! That is SO great - for Chloe anyway!

And way to go on the running you two! Way impressed over here!!

Sio.

Daniel said...

Something completely unrelated to your blog post: I see that Richard Dawson has passed away. I'll always remember his "Survey says...", and will relate that to when Mom had just baked some fresh buns, and you used them as the 'button'. Needless to say, she was not amused.