Monday, August 20, 2012

Rushing River - Year 3



I’m very happy to report we had beautiful weather for camping, and since all the mosquitoes have apparently migrated to Vancouver (everyone loves the mountains), there wasn’t a single mosquito that came out at dusk or buzzed around our ears as we fell asleep.  It was almost like heaven except I hope Dale showers more often in heaven.

This was our third annual Rushing River camping trip with two other families, and even though we stayed one night less this year, we packed in a lot of fun.  I could save myself time by linking to the last two year’s blog entries – we did the same things: swimming, canoeing, kayaking, game-playing, hiking, eating, drinking, napping, talking, and sitting around the campfire.  We all had campsites right on the water; it’s so great to be able to swim and canoe right from our site.  The kids love their independence there – the boys run all over the place in a big pack and the little girls play Barbies and go to the playground.  My niece Sarah came with us last time, so Chloe missed her this year, but she went on a long canoe ride with Dale, read, and planned a photo scavenger hunt and a treasure hunt for the kids.  There’s a little island across from our campsites that the kids love going to.  The boys rowed over in dinghies and claimed the island with a tea towel flag.  All the kids and dads also rowed/canoed over to play a game of Kick the Can, which you could hear all over the campground.

The days were sunny and warm (not hot), but the nights were cold.  I brought lots of warm blankets and I bundled up at night, but I was still cold.  Where are those hot flashes when you need them.  Mine like to wait until I’m stuck in the van with no air conditioning (except we do have air conditioning because we paid lots of money – twice – to have it fixed.  Don’t get me started on van issues).  Anyway, I shivered through the nights but everyone else was okay.  I had to snuggle up to Dale despite his non-showering situation.  But overall, it was a great time and I’m looking forward to next year.  I’m making notes on how I can be more efficient in my packing.  Our van was much fuller than last year, which is weird because last year we had Sarah, her bedding and bag, an extra tent, as well as enough clothes and food for three days instead of two.  WTH?  Might have something to do with the many large comforters I brought.

And of course, one of the best things about camping is coming home and having a long, hot shower in your own shower and sleeping in a clean, warm bed that doesn’t deflate in the middle of the night.


The island


The tiny little beach at our campsite


Neve pouting about something




What Neve looks like when she's sleeping.  In a few years, she'll be mortified about this picture being on the internet.  Actually, she'd probably be mortified today already.



 
Breakfast


Chloe leading a duct tape craft session

2 comments:

Daniel said...

Nice!! We've been looking forward to your report. Love the photo of the 'rushing river'! The water looks so soft and graceful.

Neve looks so adorable when pouting.

Hopefully Dale smells better now.

Glad you had a great time again!

Anonymous said...

I loved reading this! And yes, I also love the rushing river photo, mostly because i remember being so happy when i discovered how to photograph water like that! And pouting Neve is cute!!

I really want to be more original in my comments rather than just repeating Dan...but I'm kinda tired.

Sio.