Sunday, January 27, 2013

Cold

 
So cold that we got slurpees to laugh in the face of winter

I wrote this blog post on Friday but never got around to posting it.  It consists mainly of whining about the weather, but thankfully the weather smartened up this weekend.  But here’s where I was at a couple of days ago.
 
I’m tired of starting frozen vehicles.  I’m tired of constantly shivering.  I’m tired of only two cars making it through a green light.  I’m tired of iced up windows and I’d be happy if I never saw another sundog for the rest of my life.  I should probably be careful what I wish for; I guess blindness would make that wish come true.  I don’t feel like going anywhere or doing anything, but I’m also going stir crazy, trapped in these four walls.  I mean almost literally trapped; our front door wouldn’t open yesterday without defrosting it with a hair dryer first.  Anyone who’s never lived in a cold climate must think we’re insane for living here.  And this week, I would agree.

The cold is definitely bringing out the crazy in people.  I ran into Superstore to get a few things today and I bumped into someone I haven’t seen for a while.  Because I’m an awesome conversationalist and couldn’t think of anything clever to say, I said, “Nice weather, hey?”  She replied earnestly, “I know!  It’s amazing what difference a day can make!”  Um.  It’s -23 today.  It was -26 yesterday.  It’s awkward when people don’t get sarcasm.  I never know if I should explain myself or just play along.  I picked number two.   

Also at Superstore, I heard someone exclaim “Hansel and Gretel!” as if greeting long lost friends.  Of course I turned around to observe the situation.  An older man was addressing another old couple.   I assumed they all knew each other, but the couple looked at him like he was crazy.  After a few more words, the old man just walked away, with the couple staring after him.  Maybe they were all CIA agents in the past and Hansel and Gretel were their code names. 

Speaking of old men, I caught the eye of two seniors in Tim Horton’s yesterday.  They questioned the effectiveness of my thin work coat and said “I can warm you up.”  It does not actually feel good to be hit on by seniors. 

So I’m not sorry to see the week come to an end.  Hoping for a warmer, less crazy week ahead.
 
The children love it when I make them pose together in front of 7-11.
 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh how fondly I remember running a home daycare and being trapped indoors for three weeks every January. As a matter of fact, it was one of those days when I really did snap and told Derrick I did not care what he did but I was moving to Vancouver. 6 months later, we were here! Ellen, I miss you - a LOT. But I do not miss those winters! Everything you are tired of - all fresh in my memory storage. I feel your pain!!!

I love that you went for Slurpees. That is such a Kornelsen thing to do!!

Sio.

Stephen said...

Haha... made me laugh. :)
(Maybe because I excel at small talk --- and sarcasm.)
To avoiding being hit on by seniors!
Steve

Anonymous said...

I hear you, dont even get me started on snow pants, lost mitts and remembering to unplug the van before driving off!! Look forward to catching up next week. Lisa

Daniel said...

I love it that you went for slurpees in the freezing cold! And the CIA code names.