Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Fifteen

We’ve had a whirlwind few days with lots going on.  Chloe’s birthday was on Sunday, but since we had an early Easter at Dale’s mom’s that day, the birthday celebrations started on Saturday already.  The international student that lives with my sister stayed at our house Friday night, and on Saturday morning, I took her, Chloe and Neve to get pedicures at Tiber River.  In the afternoon, Chloe went for a massage, and later we had planned to go to the Old Spaghetti Factory for dinner, but there was a two-hour wait for a table.  So we had pizza and cupcakes at home instead, then had a family movie night with Monsters Inc.  We had two little overnight guests (their mom was in the hospital having a baby … long story that I won’t get into).  They were so cute and good and we had a lot of fun with them.  We gave Chloe a camera for her birthday, which I’m hoping she is using a lot in …. Florida!


 


 


She’s had a plan for a couple of years already – flying to Miami during spring break to surprise her cousin, Sarah.  Things fell into place this year – 15 years old is the cut-off for not having to pay an “unaccompanied minor” fee and for the first time I can remember, both girls had spring break the same week.  Chloe saved her babysitting money and bought a plane ticket back in November.  We knew there was a good chance Sarah would find out about it, since everyone knew about it but her.  I don’t know how her parents managed to not let it slip out!  Chloe left Winnipeg around 3:00 pm on Monday and arrived in Miami at 11:30 pm their time.  Sarah’s parents got her to the airport under the guise of meeting an uncle who had a short stopover, but then Chloe appeared instead.  The surprise was a huge success and the girls are having a great time.  We’ve been face-timing with her and it’s surreal to see her surrounded by palm trees and tropical plants while we’re stuck in the middle of winter.

 
It may not be Miami, but the kids and I, along with Kristin and her kids, are hanging out at my parents’ house for a few days.  My parents are still in Florida (on their way home, actually) so we have the place to ourselves.  It’s been very relaxing, although I’ve been working more than I had hoped to.  The kids have been playing outside a lot - I love it.  The hoar frost was beautiful this morning, but I wish I was rather seeing buds and grass. 
 






3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So gonna move to Rosenort?

Daniel said...

That is an unbelievable amount of snow. Is that the most there's been in a few years? I guess I don't get to see many pictures of winter scenes, what with everyone in Manitoba in denial for most of the winter, but I haven't seen so much snow in years! Hopefully it will thaw very gradually. Yikes.
That's awesome that Chloe's surprise worked out!! The frost photos are gorgeous!! Ah, winter zip-lining! Looks like fun!

Anonymous said...

Hey L,

Message me if the mom delivering a baby is from teen moms group...we'd like to send them some meals from GMC. I mentioned it to Krystyna to let me know as well.

Great 15th bday! Hooray for Chloe!

Sheri-Lee