Tuesday, March 05, 2013

Sick Day / The Pile in the Corner



Not too sick to make a marshmallow family


Today is the second day in a row Neve has stayed home sick.  She’s not very sick - just a stuffy nose and a cough that’s making her feel droopy.  Besides having to take her with me to bring Chloe to a doctor’s appointment yesterday, and cancelling a yoga class I was supposed to go to at noon today, it hasn’t really disrupted my plans, so I’ve let her stay home.  It’s wearing on me though; Neve isn’t sick enough to be in bed so she’s constantly buzzing around me while I try to work.  Yesterday she stood beside me at my desk playing on her iPod, pressed against my left arm.  I have some personal-space-infringement issues at best and believe me, this wasn’t at best.  Today she made me sit with her and look through every special-effects Photobooth picture ever taken on the Mac and listen while she described each photo as if I were sight impaired.  “This is me.  I’m wearing the same pyjamas I am now!  My forehead is all big and my eyes are bulged out and my chin is tiny and pointy!”   There are a lot of pictures.  Sometimes there are four frames in a single picture, which each merit a separate description even though they are almost identical.  It took every ounce of self control not to jump up, open the patio door, and hurl the computer into a snowbank.  Instead I told her that she needed to go read or watch TV in a different room or I would take her to school.
 
She will go to school tomorrow.

On Friday, Dale and I went to the Chamber gala dinner.  It’s a big, fancy affair that celebrates innovation in local business and we’d all been working on it for a long time.  It was a really nice night and everyone seemed to enjoy it.

All the invisible guests enjoying their invisible dinner


All dressed up with work friends
 
With that out of the way, I’m feeling less frenzied these days, so I’ve been trying to do some cleaning and organizing.  Some excellent progress was made on Saturday in both my bedroom and Chloe’s room.  Chloe refused to let me take a before picture of her closet, which is too bad because it would have been the most dramatic before/after pictures EVER.  It would have been one of those things that would have gone viral on Facebook and we would have been invited to do the talk show circuit.  But instead, Facebook continues to be inundated with silly things like “Name a game that doesn’t have the letter A in it.”  I’d love to know who starts things like that and why.  Even though I try to ignore them, I can’t help thinking about it; if nothing else, just to prove how stupid it is.  It took me about half a second to come up with “Connect 4.”
 
 
Anyway, the floor is now visible in Chloe’s closet and the dresser surface has reappeared in my room, so I’m moving on to new projects.  Many spaces in this house could use some purging and organizing and it’s slightly overwhelming.  I’ve decided to focus on one room at a time, starting with the study/office.  Make that one corner of one room at a time...there’s a pile in one corner of the study that has been there since summer.  It’s not a huge pile, but I’ve given myself a week to clean it up.  It’s something Shannon could probably do in 30 minutes, but the problem is that none of these items have a place where they belong so I have to give it some thought.  Or I could throw it all into the closet and worry about it another day.  I thought maybe if I blogged about it, the accountability would spur me on.  Your job is to pretend you care about a pile of stuff in the corner of my study.
 
 

Well, I better go; I had a few free minutes while Neve was playing Barbies, but now she wants me to play a game with her that she just invented.  It’s apparently a balloon game, like “don’t let it touch the floor” except the opposite because they’re helium balloons.  I can't wait until 9:00 a.m. tomorrow.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Game without the letter A: Rook. That took me the second to get to the end of your sentence about Connect 4.

Also, I will hold you accountable about your pile. I'll post a comment here everyday to ask how things are going until you get so annoyed that you post the picture of the empty corner (even if it means you just shoved it all into Chloe's closet).

Sheri-Lee

Anonymous said...

Rook, Sorry, Trouble, Boggle, Checkers, Scribblish, etc. Jim OOh Sheri-Lee you just beat me!!! Struggling with proving I'm not a robot!!!

Anonymous said...

How's your corner pile going?

Today I thought about going to yoga, but I'm feeling achy and tired from shovelling yesterday so I'm going to stay home and do laundry and read my library book (the book is a part of a pile in my living room that I am dealing with..ahem).

Sheri-Lee

Daniel said...

I will look for the pile in the corner of your study when I come in summer. And if it's there, I'll run my finger on top, to check for dust. (But I won't look for it in Chloe's closet)

The gala looks very elegant! Glad you enjoyed yourselves!

I hope your house is nice and peaceful today.

Anonymous said...

I love before and after pictures so I most definitely want to see that corner pile GONE and organized elsewhere!!! I cleaned off a side table, a kitchen island, and a coffee table tonight. Go, Ellen, go!!

THOSE STUPID FACEBOOK SPAM GAMES!! As you already know, I hate them.

You look absolutely beautiful in your gala photo.

I laughed out loud at the days with Neve. I can so relate from past experience. And I'm actually okay with with the personal space. For me its the NON. STOP. CHATTER. The very sweet 2.5 year old I look after is in repeat mode these days. yesterday it was "What's that crazy woodpecker doing?" Pause. "What's that crazy wood pecker doing?" Pause. "What's that crazy woodpecker doing?" And the ironic part? We were INSIDE eating lunch. There was no fecking woodpecker!!! GAH!!!

Whew. Alright. Go tidy. I'll do the same.

xo

Sio.

my security word is WARPOOP. No lies.

Anonymous said...

Sooooo...still comments from me.

How's the pile?

I didn't end up reading my book yesterday from my pile because we have an ice dam on the roof of our sun room that has decided to leak through the window underneath...at various points along the top of the frame which does not simply drip to the floor or even the window sill where I could place something to catch the drips, but instead hits the top of the window pane of the functioning window (the part that slides up to open). Sooooo, I rigged up a cookie sheet with some rope and duct tape and sloped it so that it caught the drips from the 5 points along the window frame and then aimed it to drip from one corner of the cookie sheet into a juice pitcher because (of course) the window sill is too narrow to have anything bigger than that on it. Steve later brought up a table with a phone book to allow for us to put a rubbermaid container to catch the drips so we didn't have to empty the water pitcher every hour. It was seriously dripping that fast yesterday. Blah. Steve borrowed a ladder to get up to the second floor and pulled some snow down off the roof. The ice dam is still there but it looks like it's not dripping today (yet). And now today I have some other things on my to do list and am not able to read my library book again. My pile clean up has been thwarted. :)

Sheri-Lee

Anonymous said...

My library book is coming along...thankfully it's not a long one. I hope to have it out of my pile this weekend. How's the office pile going?

Sheri-Lee

Anonymous said...

I finished my book last night Ellen! Now I have 3 books to go.
(It's a much more enjoyable pile to deal with than some). :)

Sheri-Lee

Anonymous said...

pile update?

Sheri-Lee

L said...

The pile is almost gone!! All that remains is a basket of books from our yard sale in summer. I'm debating whether to donate them or to save them for this year's sale ...I will decide tomorrow and take a picture of the empty corner. Thanks for making me do it, S-L!