Monday, May 27, 2013

A week of blogging begins



Sometimes I think I should tweet instead of blog.  Random thoughts pop into my head all day long, but I forget them all when I sit down to write.  That’s actually lucky for you; many of my thoughts aren’t worth sharing.  As we all know, that doesn’t usually stop me but I’m definitely in a blogging slump lately.  My goal this week is to try and write something every day, even if it’s just a paragraph.

The weekend is ending on a good note.  Tonight we went to Dairy Queen because we had free blizzard coupons from Cheerios that expire this week.  The kids had blizzards, but I had a peanut buster parfait which was even more delicious than usual because Dale doesn't eat after 7:00 so he had to sit and watch me eat it.  And now we’re watching new Arrested Development.   The weather wasn’t bad this weekend, so I got some yard work and planting done.  On Saturday afternoon, the girls and I met my sister and niece for an outing.  Winnipeg holds an annual Doors Open event where they open historic buildings to the public and every single year I somehow miss it.  Until yesterday!  We went to a Unitarian church on Wellington, which was interesting – part of the building was a converted residence, which still looked exactly like an old character home, and the other part was a newer addition.  Then we went to the Mariaggi Hotel in the Exchange.  It’s a small boutique hotel with theme rooms based on different countries.  I’ve never been there before and the cool part is that it’s tucked away where you hardly even notice it and the rooms really are quite something.  I don’t think the majority of the Doors Open crowd - families and old people - are the target clientele for this hotel (“Mom, where would the kids sleep and why is the shower in the main part of the room and not in the bathroom?”) but it was pretty cool to explore, even though the hotel guests weren’t thrilled when we walked into their rooms.  Just kidding, we only got to see the unoccupied rooms.  There’s a 3000 sq ft penthouse at the top which I would have loved to see, but unfortunately it was booked. I'm not quite sure it's my thing - it's so ... how should I put it ... obvious?  I think I'd prefer going somewhere more understated and less single-purpose.  I could go on but I won't because my parents read this.

Those are the only two Doors Open places we went to.  Next year I’ll aim for more, but at least I can now say I’ve been.  Then Jan and I and the kids walked around the Exchange a bit and got some falafel balls from a new Shawarma restaurant. 

That’s where I’ll end for today.  I must leave something to write about tomorrow.  I'll leave you with some pictures of Neve modelling the adult features of the hotel rooms.  










Oh, and one more picture I meant to post last weekend.  It was the kids' inaugural swim of the season in Mike & Darla's beautiful pool.  It was cool and a little rainy, but the water was warm and the kids had a blast.  I was too wimpy to go in, but I'll make up for it next time.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always miss Open Doors too! This weekend I happened to be working. Can you remind me next year before it happens? :)

Sheri-Lee

Anonymous said...

Hahah! Great post, Ellen!!

The open door tour sounds awesome. I bet there are a lot of buildings I'd be super excited to see inside, being reincarnated from the days of Laura Ingalls and all (No really. I am.) I've always wanted to see inside that hotel (although Laura would NOT have gone in there...). Neve is hilarious in the photos. I particularly love the one of her and Tia (Tia, right? I'm having a moment of freak out because I am mixing up Tia and Bailey - I am sorry girls!!). I would have loved to see the unitarian church, too!

I am thrilled about your blog a day this week!! Yay!!

(I was trying to think of a "mission" to send you on, to give you something to blog about. All I came up with was snapping a photo of my mom walking the dog...but then I thought of how creepy that could potentially be, or how incredibly confused my mother would be if you stopped her and explained who you were and what you were doing. The term "blog" would put her over the edge. Hahahahahah!!)

Sio.
xo

Daniel said...

Ah, leave it to Siobhan to come up with a suitably wacky bunch of comments! The mom & dog stalking would be a bit creepy.
What single-purpose could you possibly be talking about...
Love Neve's showing off! (and yes Sio, you guessed right!)
Love Chloe's hat in the 2nd last pic. ;-)

L said...

haha, yes Sio - Joan might be a little freaked out! But if I'm getting REALLY low on blogging ideas, I'll stalk her if I have to.

Dan - Chloe's "hat" - I noticed that too but I thought maybe no one else would! haha