Thursday, May 30, 2013

Thursday

I went to bed at a decent hour last night, so I fully planned to get up at 6:15 for a four-mile run before work. My track record at getting up early isn’t awesome, never mind getting up early enough to go for a run. When I told Dale my plan, he laughed and said he’d believe it when he saw it. With those words, I knew I could summon the willpower come morning. I woke up 15 minutes before the alarm, so I thought I’d just lay in bed until it went off. The next thing I knew, it was 7:35 and I woke up to Dale bolting out of bed. It seems I didn’t set the alarm. I was so disappointed in myself. The nice long sleep I had made me feel rested and amiable though, so I soon forgave myself.

It was a busy day at work, then I rushed home to pick the kids up from school, then rushed to my teen moms group. It’s the last one of the season, except for the weekend retreat in June. About half of the girls have reached the maximum age of the group so they won’t be back in the fall. After doing it for a few years, I feel it’s time to move on as well. It’s kind of sad because it’s been fun and I love the girls and I’ve learned way more from them than they learned from me. I plan to keep in touch with them, but it won’t be quite the same. However, I won’t miss how crazy it makes my Thursdays and how exhausted I am when my head finally hits the pillow. 

I was getting some birthday cards ready to send and asked the kids to write something nice in each one.  When I got home tonight, I saw this is what Spencer wrote in one of them.  I'll have to ask him to elaborate in the morning, but apparently self control is a trait he admires.  Who knew?  Maybe if I succeed at getting up early to go for a run tomorrow, he'll admire me too.

 




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's true. You ARE so funny and you have a strong sense of self control. Look how long you lived with your old fridge. :)

Please tell me you didn't get up to run this morning. Running in rain is only fun when it starts right at the end of your run for a nice little cool off before you hit the shower.

Sheri-Lee
P.S. I love unexpected sleep ins...even if it means a rushed morning.

Rose said...

I think Spencer is practicing to write the awards certificates at LCS. LOL.

joan said...

Good one Spencer, but my birthday isn't until October....

Daniel said...

I love Spencer's nice comment - probably something he learned at fencing.