Wednesday, July 03, 2013

Getting our groove on




Yesterday was our first full weekday of summer vacation and let’s just say there is much room for improvement.  My goal is to get up early on work days (7:30), go for a quick run, work for a few hours, and then be free to spend the rest of the day with the kids.  This is how my day actually went:  Got up at 9:30, worked a few minutes, took Spencer to his sax lesson, worked a few more minutes, made lunch, worked a few more minutes, instructed the children to clean the garage, worked a few minutes, had to provide more detailed instruction on garage-cleaning, worked 20 minutes (!), took the kids for frappucinos, worked a bit more, took over the garage-cleaning, set up the sprinkler, made supper, worked some more, went to the library, worked some more.  If you think that was annoying to read, imagine how annoying it was in real life.  My low part of the day came when I was sweeping out the garage.  I was already irritable from getting so little work done and the kids not being a little more aggressive with cleaning the garage, and by this time the sun was low enough in the sky that it blazed through the open garage door, making all the dust and squirrel shit and everything else swirling around in there to stick to my sweaty skin and give me a nice grey coat of filth.  I was also on edge the whole time in case a squirrel or bird (or both at the same time) would come scampering/flying into the garage.  At least the garage looks much cleaner and better, even though I ended up just throwing everything back on the shelves in an unorganized manner because I was tired and hot. 

Spencer realized I wasn’t having the best day of my life, and at one point he said, “Thank you for everything you do for us day after day after day.  It must be a grim existence.”  Note to self: try to appear less burdened.

The children were out of sorts all day too.  It might be because Chloe’s away this week; she’s the one they usually gravitate to and who instigates activity and fun.  Whatever the case, I think we need some sort of structure or plan each day.  The kids are hoping for a plan that doesn’t involve major cleaning projects, but I’ve got a few of those I plan to spring on them unannounced.  When they wake up in the morning, they’ll have no idea if it’s going to be a fun, frivolous, exciting day, or a day of hard labour and drudgery.  I think the uncertainty makes it fun for them.

But today was a step in the right direction.  I got up around 8:00, skipped the run, and got right to work.  I need to work on making sure the kids don’t interrupt me, but it’s nothing an electric fence can’t fix.  We hung out at Rob & Gab’s pool for a swim this afternoon and walked around the Forks tonight … luckily for the kids, today was a fun day.

Speaking of fun, here are a few pictures from the long weekend.  

The weather was fantastic all weekend and we spent most of it outside.  On Saturday we went to see Blake & Kristin in Matlock and kids and adults all had a great day.






We went to a 50th birthday party Saturday night, and on Sunday we went to Rob & Gab's for a pool party.  They just re-did their pool this spring and it's awesome.

Hiding in the corner during Marco Polo

 



Monday was Canada Day and we spent most of it at home getting some stuff done and sitting outside, before heading to Mike & Darla's for supper and a swim.  We are very thankful for our pool friends!!  We had a clear view of Assiniboine Park's fireworks from their deck, so we didn't have to deal with any traffic.  Good times!!








Chloe missed out on all our weekend fun, but hopefully she is having some fun of her own.  She left on Saturday morning for a trip to Kansas with her youth group.  They are helping out an inner city mission with whatever they need help with.  So far they’ve done cleaning projects, went to a soup kitchen, and have talked to random people on the streets.  We haven’t heard from Chloe directly, but we’ve been following their activities here.  Sounds like they’re having great experiences; check it out if you’re interested.

She's not a morning person - her eyes weren't fully open yet.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

“Thank you for everything you do for us day after day after day. It must be a grim existence.”

That kid hits the nail on the head sometimes. :)

I like to keep the kids guessing too. I find if I let them know it's going to be a fun day, the ramp up anticipation usually ends in anticlimactic whiney-ness and ungratefulness and demanding-ness. Surprise fun keeps them on their toes and the bar is set to low.

Sheri-Lee

Stephen said...

Haha (ha).
I imagine B&E saying the same things when they become more articulate.
I'd love to know if Spencer was being patronizing.
That's classic. Classic!

Anyway, good job on the fireworks-crowd-avoidance.

Anonymous said...

oh man. I loved your replay of your first day, and Spencer made me laugh out loud. I can't wait to hear about teh rest of teh week!! And way to go, Chloe!!

xo
teh Sio

Daniel said...

I had to share the Spencer quote with my coworkers, just to explain why I was snickering so much. That kid has a way with words. Much like his Mom!