Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Jail vs. September

Last night I dreamed I was in jail.  I believe it was for some white collar crime that I didn’t think I’d actually be sent to prison for, so it was a huge shock when I found myself behind bars (like Martha Stewart).  It was a prison for both men and women, but the men were on a different floor.  I was relieved about that because when I arrived, I watched several guards in very protective gear (face masks, etc.) bring in a heavily chained, very evil-looking prisoner (like Hannibal Lecter).  He leered at me as he went by and I remember thinking I was probably the last female he’d ever see since he was sentenced to life in prison.  I have no idea why I’m dreaming about being the last female seen by a convicted felon.  I can’t help how my sleeping mind works.  Or can I?  Anyway, once I’d gotten over the shock of being sent to prison, I found myself warming up to the idea.  The other women prisoners were a little rough around the edges, but pleasant enough.  We did crafts.  We read.  We could exercise.  We ate food I didn’t have to prepare.  I had no responsibilities and there was nowhere I needed to be.  I kind of liked it.  In fact, I downright enjoyed it.  My sentence was only a few months long and I vowed to make the most of every minute of it.
 
Then I woke up.  And all my duties and responsibilities came flooding back to me.  I had to keep reminding myself that prison isn’t really that awesome.  But I’ve never been, unless you count Alcatraz, so I’m not totally sure.  I guess I’d miss going outside when I wanted.  And the kids.  Oh right, the kids.  The husband too, of course, but in my dream, he was in prison too.  I was hoping he’d have his own cell.
 
I’m guessing this dream stems from our busy September schedule.  We’re only two weeks into school and I’m already feeling that I’m losing control.  I can’t keep track of everything on the calendar.  I have a permanent knot in the pit of my stomach that I’m forgetting something.  And usually I am.  I try to write everything in my calendar, but I still miss things.  Cheques need to be written, emails need to be replied to, and school forms need to be filled out … it never ends.  I’m trying to take deep breaths and just let stuff go.  If there’s something important I’m supposed to do, hopefully someone reminds me.  I started reading an overdue Express Read library book today and somehow I read a big chunk of it in the midst of a busy day.  That didn’t help my productivity, but it made me happy.  I felt like I was in prison. 
 
Now I’m off to bed in hopes of more calming dreams … maybe an asylum this time?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I laughed out loud at wanting Dale to have his own cell!

But read the following (I LOVE this website - Dream Moods.com)

Guard
To see an armed guard in your dream represents rational thinking. You are being cautious and practical.�The dream may also be on pun that you need to be "on guard" or alert about a situation.
To see a prison guard in your dream suggests that your belief and/or your way of thinking is restricting your own growth. Your fear of making mistakes is preventing you from experiencing life.


Imprisonment
To dream that you are imprisoned suggests that you are feeling trapped or unable to move beyond a certain point. Perhaps your outdated beliefs or old ways of thinking is preventing you from going forward.


Prison
To dream that you are in prison indicates that you are being censored in some area of your life. You feel that your creativity is being limited and that you are not allowed to express yourself.
To see someone else in prison in your dream signifies an aspect of yourself that you are unable to express freely.
To dream that you or someone is released from prison means that you need to make some major changes in your waking life. Eventually, you will overcome your obstacles

xo
Sio

Anonymous said...

I'd like to go to an old monastery in Europe where you're under a vow of silence. I'd like that dream in September.

Sheri-Lee

Anonymous said...

What overdue express bestseller? Is it worth the $2.00 a day charge cause I should look into it. :)

Shannon Silvestri said...

Ugh. I feel your pain. I just told Corinna today that I feel like this

http://jenhatmaker.com/blog/2013/05/30/worst-end-of-school-year-mom-ever

now. Help.

I feel like what you need is to watch Orange is the New Black.


Daniel said...

Having seen prison from the inside, I can assure you that it is not as peaceful and serene as your dream makes it out to be - it was the most sobering tour of a building that I've done! I was very glad to get out again. Funny dream, funny post though! Especially the separate cells!