Monday, September 09, 2013

Neve's secret is out

It’s a dreary Monday and no one was happy about getting out of bed today.  All three of the children had knots in their stomachs about going to school, which isn’t unusual for the younger two.  The first couple of days are kind of new and exciting, but then the reality of having to go to school every single day sets in.  When the kids complain about that, Dale and I tell them kids that they’ll look back and long for the “easy” days of school once they’re stuck in the rat race of working the rest of their life.  In hindsight, that’s probably a mistake.  It’s hard to enjoy the already-stressful present when you’ve got something even worse hanging over your head for the rest of your life.  I definitely enjoy my life more now than I did in my school days.  I must remember to tell the children that tonight. 

Some of Chloe’s nervousness is because she starts Drivers Ed today.  She’s excited, but it’s another new, unknown thing.  It’s impossible to believe she could be driving in a few weeks once she turns 15 ½.  The process of becoming a licensed driver these days is very murky to me.  I can never remember what the current rules are – how long they have to have their learners, what the restrictions are, etc.  My mind is stuck in 1985 when I turned 16.  In the country, we could take only take our learners and drivers tests on Thursdays.  I studied the calendar years in advance to see what day my 16th birthday fell on.  You hit a jackpot if your birthday fell on a Wednesday or Thursday.  I had the worst possible scenario because my birthday fell on a Sunday and the next Thursday was Boxing Day.  I had to wait eleven whole days before I could take my learners test.  I was already one of the youngest in my class at school, so by the time I got my drivers, some of my classmates had already had theirs for a year.  At least I had years to prepare myself for that disappointment.  It’s actually not as bad as it sounds, because being legally able to drive is not as important as being physically able to drive.  I was very comfortable behind the wheel of a car (or in my case, truck) by the time I took my drivers test, so I got my learners the first possible Thursday, and one week later I got my drivers.  Done and done.  No need to drag it out for six or nine months of drivers ed and graduated licensing.  Of course, now that I have a child almost old enough to drive, I think the new process is brilliant.

Luckily the weather on the weekend was much nicer than today.  We spent as much time outside as we could.  Happy Hour on the deck on Friday … Chloe and I biking to Memorial Park to watch an outdoor movie … Saturday morning bike ride to High Tea Bakery with Darla and her daughter … a spirited game of Marco Polo in Mike & Darla’s pool in the afternoon … dinner on the patio at Modern Taco Company … picnic in the park with my family yesterday.  As sad as it is to see the weekend end, it felt good knowing that we made the most of it.

Remember the back to school photo I posted last week?  Several people noticed Neve was not in it, but I was under strict orders not to tell you why.  It’s because this:





Turned into this:





Neve forbade me to post any pictures of her on the blog or Instagram until she had surprised people in person with her dramatic haircut transformation. Permission has now been granted.  She’s still not completely sure she loves her new hair, but she does love the attention she’s gotten.  I miss her long hair and how much younger it made her look, but I’m glad she had the nerve to chop it all off.  It is pretty cute.  Neve believes that accessories further enhance her new look, so she has been wearing her fake glasses a lot.  Clip-on earrings and hair clips have also made regular appearances.



So here's the complete official back-to-school photo:




And in case you haven't seen enough of Neve for one day, here's one more.


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love Neve's hair - looks great. Will get some dates for coffee and catch up now that I am a lady of leisure! See you soon. Lisa

Rose said...

Neve is so pretty and I love her haircut. Tell her I think she is very brave. As a mom, I am all for hairstyles with less tangles, etc.

Anonymous said...

Looks great!
CCarolyn

Martha said...

Neve's hair looks awesome! Good for her to chop it off!!

joan said...

Love Neve's hair!! :) Brave girl!!

Anonymous said...

It looks so awesome!!!! Love it!

Darla

Anonymous said...

Oh SO cute!!! And the accessorizing?? How adorable is THAT?? (I sound like Jenn Friesen! haha! xo Jenn Friesen!)

I am always super proud of young girls who take the risk and chop off their locks - much like when Chloe did. Good for Nevey!! And even if she decides to grow it back out, she tried it and wore the new do with pride!!

She definitely does look older - I can see why that makes you a wee bit melancholy. But I am sure she will have a tantrum soon that will remind you she is, in fact, still only 8! haha! (Wait - is she 8? She's not 9 is she??? If she's 9, no amount of hair cutting or no hair cutting will prevent her from growing up!! Yikes!!)

And Chloe driving?? Whoa. I do like the graduated licensing though. And gee, if you knew Jenn D and I way back when she got married, you'd know how many demerits I got on my first test. I revealed it in my wedding speech.

It was a lot.

xo

Sio

Anonymous said...

Oh SO cute!!! And the accessorizing?? How adorable is THAT?? (I sound like Jenn Friesen! haha! xo Jenn Friesen!)

I am always super proud of young girls who take the risk and chop off their locks - much like when Chloe did. Good for Nevey!! And even if she decides to grow it back out, she tried it and wore the new do with pride!!

She definitely does look older - I can see why that makes you a wee bit melancholy. But I am sure she will have a tantrum soon that will remind you she is, in fact, still only 8! haha! (Wait - is she 8? She's not 9 is she??? If she's 9, no amount of hair cutting or no hair cutting will prevent her from growing up!! Yikes!!)

And Chloe driving?? Whoa. I do like the graduated licensing though. And gee, if you knew Jenn D and I way back when she got married, you'd know how many demerits I got on my first test. I revealed it in my wedding speech.

It was a lot.

xo

Sio

Daniel said...

Wow, Neve's adorable with the new 'do!! Well, she was adorable before, too, but I love the new look!

I wonder they'll let Chloe take her drivers test with the tillactor...

Anonymous said...

Hahhahhahah. Daniel and Sio you make me laugh. And Ellen, you make me laugh too. I totally have used the 'enjoy school while you can' bit. I've never really thought about how that makes adult life suck. Oh dear. I enjoy a lot about adult life like no curfews (oh wait, I never had one as a kid)...ummm...this is hard. :P No for real, I do. I hated popularity contests, and fashionistas in my affluent neighbourhood high school where my dad taught and therefore I went but of course we couldn't afford anything remotely close to cool in the clothing department, and never having a boyfriend which made me feel like the ugly duckling but was later revealed to me that boys sort of liked me but just not enough to brave my father who was our high school phys ed teacher, etc. etc.

Whew. Done.

I also failed my drivers test 3 times.

This is very cathartic.

Sorry.

I told Neve at church that I liked her haircut. She was beaming with the attention from everyone. So fun. Man, you've got beautiful kids. If Ben and Neve ever date, I know I will think about how freckley and cute their kids will be. I love Ben's and Neve's freckles.

I feel like I'm rambling. I better go.

Sheri-Lee