Friday, October 11, 2013

Day 11

I had a great day today with the Japanese ladies.  They are a lot of fun to hang out with and I'm really enjoying having them here. We had a nice leisurely breakfast of fresh pumpkin muffins, yogurt and fruit at our house after I got the kids off to school.  Then we went to the park and walked around the gardens and duck pond, followed by a trip to IKEA.  They have IKEA in Tokyo, but it's far from the city they live in, so neither of them had been there before.  They loved looking at all the room set-ups and were amazed at pretty much everything.  They opened every drawer, cupboard, and appliance in every kitchen.  It was pretty fun to watch.  They love looking at people too, especially children.  They were so excited about some twin babies we saw that the mother eventually tightened her grip on the stroller and edged away from us.  The ladies were just getting their cameras out and I could see them considering chasing after the babies.  Luckily their attention was diverted by a big white kitchen with TWO ovens.

When Dale got home from work, we went to my parents' for supper.  This was another source of great joy and wonderment.  The house!  The yard!  The enormous freezer full of food! (photos were taken) The pantry full of canned food from the garden! (more photos were taken)  How amazing my parents are!  They both live pretty comfortable lives in Japan, so I don't know if they're genuinely so amazed or if they're just being polite.  Probably a little bit of both, but it made me think I shouldn't take it for granted.  



The day Chloe has been waiting for for a year (I'm too tired to rearrange that sentence so that there aren't two "for"s in a row) has finally arrived.  As part of her Family Studies course, she has to take care of a baby for the weekend. It's a doll, but it's as realistic as they can make it.  When it cries, Chloe has to figure out if it needs a new diaper, a bottle, or just wants to be held.  It has a floppy head that needs to be supported, and a car seat it needs to be buckled into when driving.  There is some sort of computer chip inside that reacts to the sensors in the diapers and bottle and neck-flopping.  Chloe also has to wear a wristband all weekend (that can only be removed by the teacher) so if she moves too far away from the baby, it cries.  When the weekend is over, the teacher retrieves all the data and can tell how well it was taken care of.  The baby is called Baby Think It Over, but I'm afraid the only thinking-over that's being done is by Chloe planning how to get a real baby.  However, she had to cheer at a football game at the new stadium tonight and had to bring her baby.  It cried.  The car seat was heavy.  Things were complicated.  I hope the baby doesn't cry all night tonight and wake up our house guests, but I guess if it means preventing a teenage pregnancy, it's Worth It.

Is that the face of a girl thinking a teen pregnancy is a bad idea?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahahah!!!

Oh my gosh - the Ikea trip and all the photos cracks me up.

And Chloe with the doll - I SO wish they had those when I was a kid!!! Although, looking after real live babies is what turned me of having real live babies so I guess it all turned out well (for me - and of course I do NOT mean the Kornelson babies. They were angels!)

Hahah!

xo
Sio

Anonymous said...

I love Japanese tourists. When we were in Germany at Neuschwanstein Castle, Emeth was swarmed by Japanese ladies in the gift shop. For real, swarmed. We have a picture of Emeth in our cuddly wrap carrier strapped to the front of me smiling like crazy while about 6 (that's only how many fit in our camera frame)Japanese ladies are taking his picture. ;)

They should have a 'Toddler Think It Over' instead...one that whines, throws things, poops big poops in their pants, etc.

Sheri-Lee