Friday, October 18, 2013

Day 18

Since Siobhan asked so nicely for some negativity, here we go.

I think it was Stop in the Middle of the Aisle Day at Costco today.  Shopping there isn't my favourite at the best of times, but today was even worse than usual.  Countless times - seriously, I can't even count how many times - people just stood smack in the middle of the aisle for no reason, blocking all traffic.  The store was crowded and no one was in a hurry except me.  As just one tiny example, there was a man with a shopping cart and his wife in a wheelchair who were exactly spaced out so you couldn't fit on either side or between them.  When I said "Excuse me," they slowly, slowly moved over a few centimetres.  No apology, not even a polite smile.

At the massage therapy office, I overheard this conversation between the receptionist and a customer:

"I love your vest!"
"Thanks! I love it too!  I just love fall layers!"
"I know!  I love fall clothes!  Fall is my favourite season!"
"Mine too! I would be happy if it was fall all year round!"
"I know!  Me too!  Like, sunny fall weather!"
"Yes!  About 10 degrees and sunny!"
"Exactly!"

Then they kept talking about some magical place in the world where it's always fall temperatures and how much they'd like to live there.  My self-control had to work very, very hard not to jump up and bang both of their heads together.  I know there are a lot of people who love fall, but it was the stupidest conversation I've ever heard.

Tonight we had friends over for Anthony's birthday (Teresa's husband).  It was great to see him and the kids and everyone else and we had a nice evening, but Teresa should have been here.  Her absence was felt so deeply and it's hard to accept that this is the new normal.   This is also the weekend of our annual Grand Forks trip.  We all looked forward to it every fall, but we just couldn't bear to go this year.

I'll try to be more upbeat tomorrow (sorry, Sio).

3 comments:

Daniel said...

I love fall too - especially when it's foggy for a week straight! I love that soggy chill that works its way right to your bones. Ok, that part I could do without, but I do love the colours and the smell of leaves delivering their nutrients to the earth, and the crisp fresh air. Sorry. But I can't stand 'aisle blockers'.

The cake you made for Anthony looked amazing - hope it was thoroughly enjoyed! I'm sure Teresa would have loved it.

Anonymous said...

Fall is my favorite time of year as well. Must have been kind of a tough eve yesterday. I'm sure Anthony appreciated it a lot . Jim

Anonymous said...

Hugs.
Sheri-Lee