Tuesday, October 08, 2013

Day 8

“I'm so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers.”

- L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
 
 
I’m different than most people.  I hate fall.  I’m never ready for summer to end, so I resent the shorter days, dread the cooler temperatures, and am saddened by the sight of leaves falling off the trees.  To be fair, it’s not fall’s fault.  It’s just that I know what lies beyond fall.  My memory’s not always great, but it never forgets winter.  All that being said, today was a beautiful fall day.  I had to spend most of the day working at my computer, but I ate lunch outside, washed windows and raked leaves to get some fresh air.  It was hard to make myself go back inside.  If every October day was like today, I might soften my stance on fall.  But even then, I probably wouldn’t go so far as to agree with the quote above.
 
It’s my dad’s birthday today.  He’s awesome - he’s 76 but seems way younger.  He is talented at many things and can fix or build anything.  He has no shortage of crazy ideas – building things like the zip line, a mood enhancer (I can’t explain that one), and a tillacter (cross between a tiller and a … ?).  He always makes things fun for the kids (and adults).  Happy birthday, Dad!
 
I’ve been craving chocolate all day and handfuls of chocolate chips just aren’t cutting it.  Dale just went to pick Chloe up, so I gave him a very strong hint that I’d love him to pick up a chocolate bar for me.  And then I followed up the hint with a direct request.  It turned out he had picked up on the hint so he was annoyed that I didn’t leave it at that because he wanted to look like he was all intuitive and sensitive to my every whim.  I’m sorry I ruined his surprise but sometimes it’s Worth It to spell things out just to make sure.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I once told Stephen that I would like tickets to the 'Mamma Mia' musical for our anniversary. Then I said, "This is not an hint. It is a direct request."
1 week before the show starts running:
Me: Did you get a babysitter.
Steve: For what?
Me: Mamma Mia.
Steve: Oh, you wanted to go?
Me: yes, I told you that.
Steve: I thought you were kidding.
Me: get me tickets.
Steve: okay.
Two days before the show stops running:
Me: Did you get tickets to Mamma Mia?
Steve: What? You wanted tickets?
(I can't make this up people).

Next year, Mamma Mia returns to Wpg for a second run.
Me: Steve, I want Mamma Mia tickets for our anniversary. This is not a hint.
Steve: Okay
Day that show starts running:
Me: Did you get tickets to Mamma Mia?
Steve: Uh...you still want to go?
*crickets chirping*
Steve ends up getting tickets for the last show...the seats are in the last row of the second balcony on the very end. I'm pretty sure they were the last 2 tickets on sale. We get to show and Steve says:
'These tickets are awesome. Look how we can stretch our legs out.' (because there are no seats in front of the last 2 seats in the last row of the building...just steps down).
'Yes Dear. It's fantastic to have all this leg room. Thank you.'

Sheri-Lee

L said...

Best comment EVER!!

Anonymous said...

TOTALLY BEST COMMENT EVER!!!!

Way too funny. And now I really need to meet Steve (can you believe I haven't???)

xo
Sio

Stephen said...

Hahahaha. That made me laugh Sheri-Lee. And it's true. Everything. Best comment. Best seats etc. :P

Sio, we're trying to win tickets to Hawaii. :P

Stephen said...

Oh, and what the?! I love that Anne of GG quote!

Anonymous said...

Yay!!! We should ALL meet up in Hawaii!!! Kauai Dec 1 - 11. Who's in???

Sio.

Anonymous said...

Yay!!! We should ALL meet up in Hawaii!!! Kauai Dec 1 - 11. Who's in???

Sio.