Monday, January 27, 2014

Illness, recipe fail, and assorted other thoughts


The weather is nicely staying on track to be the coldest winter in the history of the world.  The temperature this morning is minus ... nevermind.  On the plus side, I don't see the dry, bare dormant tree branches swaying, so there's not much of a wind and the sun is shining.  My furnace is working well, so as long as I stay in my house, things could be worse.  We had a few hours respite from the bitter coldness on Friday.  When I stepped outside that morning, I could actually breathe.  It dawned on me that it had been a long time since I took a breath outside.  I automatically take a deep breath before I leave the house and don't exhale until I'm in my vehicle. You know things are bad when you don't even realize you haven't been breathing outside. I guess I must breathe when I walk Neve to and from school, but my scarf is always covering my mouth so it hardly counts.

I am counting the minutes until our Costa Rica trip.  There are still way too many minutes left.  My friend Sheri-Lee came over on Friday afternoon to show me pictures and tell me about their Costa Rica trip last year.  It made me want to be there so badly.  Unfortunately, our visit was cut short when I got a call from Spencer's school.  I was secretly hoping Spencer was in trouble, but instead they told me he had thrown up in science class.  IN science class.  On the floor of science class.  Most kids would be mortified, but Spencer didn't really seemed phased by it.  I think he was just happy to start his weekend early, at whatever cost. He said his stomach had been hurting in the morning, but he still ate his lunch because it was a two-pizza-ticket Friday and he didn't want the tickets to go to waste (he gets two pizza tickets every second Friday, and only one ticket the alternate weeks).  I questioned the wisdom of that decision, but he said, "I don't regret it."  I bet his teacher, his classmates, and the janitor all do.



Luckily, his illness was short-lived.  By Sunday morning, he was pretty much back to normal. It was almost exactly like Neve's little bout last weekend, so I guess I can rule out the A&W mama burgers.  Neve stayed home from school last Monday and it was a nice cozy day.  We snuggled on the couch while I read to her, she had a long nap, and she quietly rainbow-loomed while I sat and got some work done on my laptop.  I felt she was ready to go back to school on Tuesday, but she felt otherwise.  In a weak moment, I let her stay home again but the rose had come off the bloom.  Neve was up and around and active and wanting to do things with me, while I was impatient and distracted and busy with work. I think we were all happy to get back to our normal routine on Wednesday.


Cozy Sick Day #1

I don't think I can blame this on her sickness anymore at this point, but Neve's been so temperamental lately.  By 11:00 a.m. yesterday, she had already had three meltdowns over ridiculous things.  The first all-out sobbing session occurred because I made pancakes and didn't use her favourite recipe.  The reasons for the other meltdowns were even sillier.  Once she recovers and gets a grip on things, she is always sheepish about it and apologizes over and over.  But half an hour later, something else sets her off and the pattern repeats itself.  We had a nice long, civilized talk about it yesterday, and things have improved since then.  I'm pretty sure the talk itself did nothing, but the threat of a Rainbow Loom confiscation accomplishes what mere words cannot.


We've got a lot invested in rubber bands



Just to show life isn't all fun and games, here's Neve washing the floor.  Actually, this is such a rare occasion that using the mop is a huge novelty.  I couldn't get it away from her.  I'm tempted to get it out more often, but I have to tread cautiously or it won't be fun anymore.







I saw these peanut butter oatmeal bars on the Facebook the other day and knew my life would not be complete if I didn't make them.  (Here's the link).



I followed the recipe exactly and this is how they turned out:



What's that you say?  Maybe I just didn't take the picture from the right angle?

(Not that I need to label these...)



MINE

THEIRS








I'm sure my mistake was not putting mine on a white plate.  Whatever, they actually tasted pretty good, but they weren't suitable for the no-cutlery purposes I intended them for.




Neve had her first gymnastics competition coming up, so her class did a practice run-through on Saturday.  It was really cute and fun to watch.

Also on Saturday, Chloe and I met my sister and nieces at Baked Expectations.  I hadn't been there for years, but I think the last time I went, it was also freezing cold.  I only associate it with cold weather.  For all I know, it's not even open in summer.  But we had a good time; going out on a cold dark January night was well Worth It.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad Spencer is feeling better. :)

With the weather today, I too am super excited for you and Costa Rica. :)

Sheri-Lee

Anonymous said...

Gosh I love reading your blog, Ellen!!! I always laugh out loud at so many parts. I am not going to lie - I do NOT envy your winter at ALL. I haven't seen snow in over a year. It did actually snow in Vancouver this winter but I was in Hawaii when it did ;).

The peanut butter yumminess was hilarious to see photos of. And I know what an amazing dessert maker you are so there was definitely a misprint in the recipe. Maybe you were meant to mix it with a silicone spoon rather than a wooden one?

I can't wait for you to get to Costa Rica. I am always so thrilled when friends get to take hot vacations - seriously. Especially my Winnipeg friends.

On a completely unrelated note, as of late I have to "zoom in" to read your blog, so I am requesting you use a larger font of at least 18 because it most definitely has NOTHING to do with the fact that I am getting older. NOTHING.

xo

Sio

L said...

hey Sio - darn that small print!! Time for reading glasses. haha, I can't laugh because I'm even older than you.

I have no idea why my font size is silly. I see there are often different fonts going on in the same post and I don't know why. I guess I could go into the html to figure it out. But I'm almost too old to figure out stuff like that.