Wednesday, January 01, 2014

Twenty Fourteen



When I was younger, so much younger than today … I remember how I thought about The Year 2000 as nothing but pure science fiction.  Surely the earth as I knew it would no longer exist - either the second coming would have occurred or it would be a Jetson’s-like fantasy world.  I never dreamed I would still be alive in The Year 2000, and in hindsight, I’m not sure why. The simple math equation of 2000 minus 1969 would have shown that I would turn 31 at the very end of 2000.  Of course, when you’re twelve, age 31 may as well be 131, but still, my lack of intelligence is kind of disappointing. 

I also remember predictions of telephones where you could actually SEE the other person.  We had cousins in BC that we would sometimes phone (after 6:00 p.m. when long distance was cheaper) and I couldn’t even comprehend how magical it would be to see cousin Ted’s face from three provinces away.  You can video-chat with anyone now, including the young Filipino girl whom I mistakenly face-timed with when I thought I was calling Chloe.  That was awkward, especially since I woke the little girl up.

Anyway, all that to say we’ve been living in the 2000s for 14 years now and I still haven’t skyped or face-timed with Ted.  I should make that my new year’s resolution.  My last year’s resolution/goal was moderately successful: I tried to take a photo a day to post on Instagram.  I was right on track until Teresa died; I skipped a week or so and was never as passionate about it after that. But 322 posts isn’t too bad.  Dan did a bit better than me; he even surpassed 365 pictures.     

My holiday hibernation is going smoothly.  I have left the house as seldom as possible.  I’ve been mainly sleeping in, working on my puzzle (#$&^% sky) and reading.  I finished “419” and have now started the book that Darla and I gave each other. (I think someone asked in the comments if that was planned –- no, it was a coincidence.)  Some productive things have also happened, including cleaning out the storage room (ongoing), renewing passports, and … hmm, maybe that’s it.  It’s been so awesome not having to run around or watch the clock or drive the kids to their activities.  We’ve been existing on the four main food groups: popcorn, Toblerone, Nutella, and After Eights. Sometimes we have pretzels to balance it out.  

So now I'll carry on for a few more days. It's hard to believe I'll ever tire of this unstructured utopia, but past experience has taught me otherwise.  Until then, I'll be in my sweats.


Just some of the empty boxes I cleaned out of the storage room

Neve spent lots of time building her Friends Lego and showing it to me every single step of the way.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love no structure. It's my goal to live with as little as possible.

Can you post a close up of Nevey's baby shirt? And Spencer's? They are so cute.

And I love how cleaning out the storage room meant tossing everything into the living room. It looks like there is an animal skin on the left of that photo. Ha!

xo

Sio

Anonymous said...

I'm really loving the sweaters from Uncle Dan, and am glad to see I'm not the only one living in it this break!

Tia