Saturday, February 22, 2014

Nine

 

It’s been a whirlwind of a week.  I feel like I haven’t had a second to spare with getting everything ready for our trip.  I’ve been staying up late to work every night, trying to get everything done before I leave. Then there were school projects, food and home to organize for the kids while we’re away, a birthday to get ready for; all of this with a heavy heart, constantly thinking about someone close to me who was just given some sad medical news.
 


In happier news, Neve turned nine today.  She loves her birthday.  She’s been counting down for months. Some years I feel I haven’t pulled off the magic that she craves for, but I’m feeling pretty good about this year. 
 


It started with an early birthday present Thursday morning: tickets to Disney on Ice that night.  I haven’t taken the kids for a few years, but Neve’s fleeting childhood flashed before my eyes and I decided to take her while it was still magical. I probably don’t need to worry about it since Chloe was still pretty excited to go at 15.  So it was a girls’ night out and we had a really nice time. I didn’t love being squashed in a one-aisle-access row between a guy who reeked of stale smoke and a group of large adults who oozed over into our seats. However, it was okay because we got added entertainment value from watching one of the adults (dressed in fleece Duff Beer pyjama pants) try to drink her $10 snow cone out of a plastic Mickey Mouse cup with no straw.  Mickey’s nose kept getting in the way.  Ah, who can resist that Disney magic?  Apparently we can, because the girls didn’t even ask for a snow cone or popcorn or light-up twirly thing. I was feeling super cheap: we got cheap opening night tickets, we parked on the street for free, and I brought my own bottle of water and chocolate eggies from Bulk Barn as a snack. But no one complained.
 
 
On Friday, Neve brought cupcakes to school (decorated with fancy swirly icing like Teresa taught me), then we had a family party in the evening.  Bailey made a crazy amazing cake and Neve felt special and loved.
 


Lining up again for a birthday photo opp




 
Today, Neve woke up to a stack of presents and oatmeal pancakes.  After breakfast she and I went to Tiber River for pedicures.  I knew the rest of the day was going to be crazy, so I enjoyed every second of relaxing and being pampered.  They now have a new nail polish that dries completely in 8 minutes. Best invention ever, except then I didn’t have an excuse to sit there longer and avoid the rest of the day.
 
 

I have to say I accomplished amazing things today: laundry, cleaning, baking, preparing, packing, hosting a birthday playdate with Neve’s best friends, hosting Happy Hour, dinner out at Boston Pizza, and now, late at night, blogging after helping Spencer with his science fair project.  It’s all Worth It, because it’s going to make our vacation that much more amazing.  Hope you all have a great week.  I'm sorry (not really), but I just have to brag about the forecast for the area of Costa Rica we're going to.  I'm glad to see it warms up a bit by Thursday.  Love you all!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Woo hoo! Great week past and great week ahead!

Sheri-Lee

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to hear all about it!!! xo

Sio