Friday, May 16, 2014

Checking in

I realize it's been a week and a half since my last update, so here's a quick one.

Occupying most of my head and heart this week is my sister-in-law Joan, who is in the hospital while the doctors try to figure out how to get her pain under control. Some days are better than others, but I’m always impressed by her positive attitude and humour. She’s so tough and amazing, but it’s no fun seeing her in a hospital bed. If you feel like saying a prayer for her and my brother and their kids, it couldn’t hurt.

On a happier note, Mother’s Day was nice.  Dale and the children always work hard to make it a special day, but somehow some years are nicer than others.  It probably depends on my mood and attitude, which I have no control over.  It was a good one this year – my favourite part was going on a lovely bike ride in the afternoon and found a play structure to play Grounders on.  In the morning, I got breakfast in bed (crepes), and cute cards and gifts.  Neve made me a picture at school, Chloe gave me earrings and a Starbucks gift card, and Spencer gave me earrings (bought with Chloe’s help).  They’re good kids.  Dale bought me some cute little chairs for the front porch, which I had strongly hinted at.  But they didn’t look quite right with the porch table, so I was debating about exchanging or returning them.

And then I dropped my phone on the bathroom ceramic tile floor and shattered the screen, so I returned the chairs and put the money towards replacing the screen instead.  Happy Mother’s Day to me. That sucked. Dale encouraged me to keep or exchange the chairs as well, but I felt like I deserved to make a sacrifice for my irresponsibility. If anyone wants the name of the cell phone repair shop I went to, let me know.  The guy was awesome.  I won’t say it was cheap because it’s basically highway robbery, but this place was considerably cheaper than another place I checked.  And luckily for iPhone 5 droppers, they had a sale on those specific screens this week.  I picked a good week to break it. Ironically, Chloe dropped her phone about two weeks ago and cracked her screen as well.  We’ve both had cell phones for many years and neither of us has ever broken one before.  Dale better hang on tight to his phone in case this is one of those things that happen in threes.  At least in Chloe’s case, the crack isn’t too deep so she can continue using it until her plan ends in a few months.  First world problems.

I’d been thinking about getting my hair cut short for a while, and the day I got my drivers licence in the mail with the new photo was the day I knew it was time.  I thought it had been a good hair day, but in hindsight it was hideous.  So I got it all chopped off and dyed it black.  I’m still getting used to it, but I think it’s a big improvement. Neve wasn’t so sure; she told me I looked like a man and called me Daddy 2 for a couple of days. I’m back to “Mom” now, so I guess she’s coming around. I promise I will post a picture soon, but right now it’s late and I’m tired.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to seeing your hair cut, bet it looks great. Lisa

Anonymous said...

Daddy 2. Oh man. That kid kills me. I think Dale should dye his hair black and then Neve can call him Mommy 2.

Sheri-Lee

Stephen said...

"Daddy 2" made me laugh. :)
The black hair looked pretty good, though Neve probably would've preferred pink... :P

Anonymous said...

Um...you CAN'T end a post and TELL us about a major change and NOT post a photo!!!

xo sio