Monday, May 05, 2014

The snow finally melts and other stories

Let me begin today by addressing Siobhan’s comment in the last post.  She found it hilarious that I thought someone might have broken into the house and stolen only my phone.  Well, Siobhan, I’ve got a story for you!  As ridiculous as it sounds, that actually DID happen to my sister’s friend in Fort Garry.  One morning she couldn’t find her phone, so she used the “find my iphone” app from another device.  To make a long story short, with some investigating and police assistance, the phone was found in a van parked a few streets away. The good news is she got her phone back, but the bad news is that it was found down the van driver’s underwear. I guess they forgot to lock their doors that night and a guy came around, checking for open doors and items that were easy to steal.

In my case, I didn’t really believe it was stolen since I knew the doors had been locked and the alarm was on and my purse was still sitting there in plain sight. But because of the story above, it did enter my mind.  Also because when our house was broken into years ago, so many odd random items were stolen that whenever we couldn’t find something instantly, we automatically concluded it must be stolen.  Can’t find the other striped sock? Must have been stolen.  The can opener?  Obviously stolen.  95% of the time, the item would turn up, but there are some things (Dale’s old running shoes, a wool comforter, and baby formula, to name a few) that are still missing.  I know it’s irrational but after all these years, whenever an item is missing, my first thought is still “someone must have stolen it.” I probably need to move on.


***

I try to talk about the weather as little as possible.  This winter was horrible and spring has been slow in coming.  But if past experience has taught me anything (and it so rarely does), it’s that complaining about the weather doesn’t help.  Instead, let me share my photo collection of the snow melting from my yard.  I feel shy to admit that after forty-four years of watching winter turn to spring, it’s still exhilarating enough to make me take a special trip to the front sidewalk at random intervals to document the melting process.


March 21


March 28

April 5

April 9

April 19

April 22

There is a pile of snow still visible in the last picture, but all traces of it are now gone.  Check back here tomorrow for a look at our back yard. I'm not even kidding. 

***

I’m a fair weather runner, so because of the cold weather and the late, slow melt, my training got off to a late start.  I shouldn’t completely blame it on the weather since other people seemed to overcome that obstacle. Lack of motivation and sheer laziness must take some responsibility as well. Running isn’t really my thing; I’m just doing it until I discover what my thing is. So yesterday was the police half marathon, which I only signed up for because of my neighbour’s encouragement/nagging. This was by far the least I’ve ever trained for a half marathon so my expectations were low.  Like I always say, low expectations are the secret to happiness, and this was no exception. 

Dale and I have different running styles that don’t mesh well so we never go for a run together unless we’re on vacation in an unfamiliar city. We didn’t plan to run this race together, but I guess since we both knew we wouldn’t get a personal best anyway, we were less individual about it and ended up running the whole thing basically side-by-side. It worked out much better than we thought it would.  Apparently once you’re married 25 years, you do everything together.  My goal was 2:10 but I ended up with a time of 2:02, so I’m satisfied.

My friend Lori snapped these as we ran by.  Apparently I appear to enjoy running much more than I actually do. I look like a crazy person.  My goal is to frown more.


Happy

Happier

Happiest

More happiest


***

Last night, we went to Jim and Sabrina’s for a birthday party BBQ for my three-year-old niece Lexie.  It was nice having the whole family there (except for the Vancouver ones) and a good time was had by all.

The birthday girl

There are always lots of vehicles of all shapes and sizes at Jim & Sabrina's

I love how Nixi has her hand on Cruz's back and Bella riding her bike in her tutu

Opening presents





***

I also did a cleaning/organizing project in the playroom this weekend.  I got rid of garbage bags full of stuff and it feels so good. It’s not quite ready for the big reveal, but stay tuned. Remind me in a week or two if I still haven’t posted it; I’ll probably need the accountability to push me along.

***

Spencer recently told me he spends every single noon hour in the school library. All that time I spent in his early childhood encouraging a love of reading has come back to bite me. Now I have to come up with incentives to get him to stop.  I told him he had to go outside at least a couple of times a week, so today he told me that he had spent his lunch hour in the school yard. I was pleased and asked him what he did. 

"I talked with my friends for the first part, but then they went to play basketball.  Basketball is a waste of time, so I swung around on the basketball pole and recited the English monarchy in my head." 

Oh boy. It could be argued that memorizing the history of the British monarchy isn't the greatest use of time either, but at least he got fresh air and vitamin D.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"It was nice having the whole family there (except for the Vancouver ones) and a good time was had by all." The presence of those Vancouver-ites is always so upsetting. Just kidding, Dan and Jenn. :)

I took a cue from you this spring cleaning Ellen and have been tackling one room/closet at a time. It took me 2 hours to clean the back entrance. For. Real. But it was so nice and clean and organized...for 5 minutes until the kids came home from school. :)

I can't believe you ran 2:02 without really training and saying "running is not my thing". I ran that frickin' marathon thinking running is not my thing and proved it to myself without a doubt and have NEVER run since. (That was 2 years ago). For. Real.

Reciting the monarchy. Wow. I'm just trying to get Emdog to recite the days of the week and the months of the year. I'm pretty sure that Spencer could enter 'The Smartest Canadian' and win. For. Real.

Sheri-Lee

Anonymous said...

hahahahah, Sheri -Lee!! Your comments made me laugh. And I, too, was going to question why the Vancouver peeps don't make family gatherings wonderful?! I think those guys are HILARIOUS!!!

I love the series of happy running photos! I didn't like that you could see your frozen breath in them. Way too cold!!

And they found the phone in his UNDERWEAR?? I'd let him keep it. Who knows what he had been using to dial out and check his Facebook?? Ok, I can now understand why you thought the phone had been stolen though as creepy as all that was, I am still laughing about the original stolen phone entry (this is totally coming back to bite me in the ass, isn't it? Where is my phone right now...)

Oy, Spencer. Hey, at least he listens to his mama!! He DID go outside!! And you know what, Buckingam Palace has some really cool job postings (yes, I've looked. I wanted to see if "Nanny to the cutest baby Prince ever" was posted. It's not.). So Spencer may be able to put all that knowledge to some good and adventurous use! Gosh, I would love to work in the palace. Even as a scullery maid. Imagine the things you would see and hear?? And you'd probably have to run an errand over to Downton Abby and get to met Lady Mary and Lady Edith!!

Ahem. What was that? You need help finding your phone? be right there!

xo Sio

L said...

I think you are all misunderstanding my "except the Vancouver ones" part! I was trying to say they were the only ones not in attendance, NOT that it was nice that they weren't there! Quite the opposite, because yes, Sio, it would be much more fun with them there! Now go look for your phone - I will laugh so hard if someone stole it! haha

Anonymous said...

haha!! I actually DID have my phone stolen once!! But it was at a mall. And a very hard lesson learned. I also think it was karma because on that same day, the ATM gave me an extra $20 and I didn't say anything. And then my phone got stolen. That extra $20 didn't go very far when I had to replace said phone...

xo Sio

Anonymous said...

I meant to comment on the phone found in underwear...what the what? GROOOOOOOOOSSSSSSS.

You could not disinfect that thing enough to get it anywhere near my face again.

Sheri-Lee