Tuesday, June 03, 2014

Don't give up on me


I haven’t been in the blogging spirit lately.  My sister-in-law Joan remains in the hospital as her cancer takes its toll.  She is a rock star; despite her pain, she has still been making us smile, making my children feel special and loved, and still has a presence that draws people to her. There are a lot of emotions involved and even though my life carries on as usual for the most part, I feel like I’m in a bit of a fog. Making plans or committing to things or trying to concentrate all seems overwhelming. I’m currently working on a big work project that consumes every spare minute, so the lack of focus is not ideal.  That would actually be near the bottom on the list of Things That Are Not Ideal, so I will suck it up and carry on.

My sister-in-law from Vancouver surprised us all by coming out to camp out at the hospital and help Joan and family in any way possible.  My brother Dan followed a week or so later, so it’s good to have them both here.  It would be even nicer under better circumstances, but we are making the best of it.  Bob & Jan are taking advantage of having some extra yard labourers; once they’re done landscaping, maybe I can somehow trick them into working on my project.

Here are a few pictures from recent days (in no logical order), just to prove we do have some fun.

May long weekend in Gimli.  We like to dress our children according to their gender.

Neve looking sad that she has to eat ice cream on a cool, windy day.

My deck on May 24

My deck on May 31.  Yay, summer.

We got to hang out with my great-niece and -nephew  on Saturday.  They are such cute, good, polite kids!  Very fun to have them over.


Geo-caching. We don't quite know what we're doing, so we prefer to do it by the cover of night.

Awkwardly standing on Garbage Hill eating ice cream

Sunset from Garbage Hill.
So what if we're standing on garbage and overlooking an industrial area … it was still pretty.


Cute little Lexie eating a smore

One of these weeks I will get back to more regular blogging, I promise.  Enjoy the beautiful weather in the meantime...

4 comments:

Daniel said...

So glad to be here with family.
I'll come over tomorrow - get your shovels ready!
Love all the fun photos!

Daniel said...

So glad to be here with family.
I'll come over tomorrow - get your shovels ready!
Love all the fun photos!

Anonymous said...

Jenn and Dan, you are wonderful people. Even though I don't know you well, I like that I know you, even if it's just a little bit. (p.s. Dan, we're fixing a crooked fence post/fence this weekend -- bring your shovel over here. :P)


Ellen, Dear Friend. I miss you. Physically, as we've not been at church to see you because of family commitments, but also in the blog world. I'm glad to have you as a friend and that you allow me to participate in your life via your blog. Be well. Be at peace. Thinking of you.

Sheri-Lee

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry your heart is heavy, Ellen. And extra so by the time you read this. Saying good bye is the most heart breaking thing we have to do.

I loved seeing the photos of what you have been up to. Your little niece is SO delicious looking - I want to munch on her little arms and leggies. The two of them look like such a delight (you will have to refresh my memory on their names) .

Lexi eating the s'mores - I can feel the stickiness from over here!!

We need a better photo of your hair!! From what I can see - I love it!!

Garbage hill always reminds me of 10k training - up and down that freaking hill.

Love and miss you my friend!

xo Sio