Tuesday, July 01, 2014

June weekend at the lake


Neve and I are spending this dreary day cleaning her room, so there's nothing exciting to report today.  We are expecting exciting things later on when we head to Mike & Darla's for a Canada Day celebration.  I guess only the die hard ones will actually swim, but we're looking forward to getting out of the house.

In the meantime, I'll seize this opportunity to step back a few weeks and share some pictures from the weekend we spent at Bob & Janet's cottage with my family.  The weather was poor and it was only a week since Joan passed away; no one was in the highest of spirits but it was good to be together.  It was nice that Dan was still here.  

Here he is wind surfing:



Here he is gazing lovingly into Bella's eyes:




Here he is reaching for a napkin:
(not sure what's up with my alignment)




Here is the ill-fated fishing expedition about to depart:




When they didn't return in a timely manner, we were just starting to get concerned when Jordan texted us saying the motor wouldn't start and they were stranded on the lake.  There were no other boats at the cottage available to help them, but eventually the stranded fisher-people flagged down another boat that pulled them home.  Neve thought it was a grand adventure and fish were caught, so I guess it wasn't so ill-fated after all.








And Spencer caught his very first fish ever.  He had no idea what to do with it so he just stared at it in joyful wonder until someone (not me) came to his rescue.  He threw it back and then promptly caught it a second time.




Nothing funner than chasing people with a fish


Uncle Greg pretending to throw Neve in the hot tub. Without Joan around to tell him to stop, he now has to use his own judgement.







Bella

Grandma & Lexie


It's so nice to hang out at the lake even in less than ideal weather, but Dale & I and the kids left Saturday night because we were participating in the marathon the next morning.  I signed us up for it a while back and greatly regretted it in the weeks leading up to it.  With everything going on, I hadn't run at all for weeks.  Chloe hadn't run, period, but Spencer and Neve did running club at school and were excited to participate.  So we tore ourselves away from the cottage, got to bed way too late, got up way too early on a dark, dreary morning and went to run the marathon.  Dale and Neve ran the Super Run and the rest of us did the 10K.  Spencer took off from the start line and Chloe and I ran at a slower pace until Chloe wanted to walk.  About half way through, Spencer came up from behind to join us.  I have no idea how or when we passed him, but he wasn't feeling great and his run wasn't going as well as he'd hoped.  So we walked most of the way, except when I could convince the kids to run so we'd get it over with sooner. At least we were all together, which was the only positive thing I could think of.  I didn't even take a picture of all of us, which is something I do every single year.

Speaking of things we do every single year, this was the first time in many years that we didn't go to the Ex.  It poured the night we planned to go (#$*&@ rain), which was very disappointing.  Bailey and Tia were going to join us, so instead we all went to play Laser Tag and then came home and watched a movie. There wasn't another day that worked for all of us to go, so it was an Ex-less year.  Neve says she's never been to Tinker Town, so promises were made to do that instead sometime. Hopefully those promises are kept, especially now that I wrote it here for all to see.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ill-fated indeed. At least it wasn't a '3 hour tour'.

I love your Daniel photos and commentary. Hahahhha. Perhaps one day Daniel, Jenn and I can do yoga with Sio and Derrick and have a rollicking good time.

Sheri-Lee

Anonymous said...

Haha! Funny that the one time I come to comment, I'm IN the comments!!

I am reading from Costa Rica!! I am melting in the heat and the internet isn't always great so I haven't been commenting (I'm not sure why the heat prevents me from commenting, but anyway...). As well, the chair at the desk in my room is so low compared to the desk, my arms fall asleep when I try to type for any length of time. OK, I know there are solutions to that but whatever. Just let me whine.

I laughed out loud at Greg tossing Neve in the hot tub and having to use his own judgement now. It's nice to find the funny bits in the sadness.

xo Sio

Daniel said...

So nice to see the photos from the cottage weekend! It was a nice, though melancholy, time. Greg's need to use his own judgment brings tears to my eyes.

Yes, I was looking lovingly in Bella's eyes - I love all my nieces and nephews! Such a variety of characters in there!!