Wednesday, July 02, 2014

Peony patience pays off


I've been trying to grow a peony plant (bush? shrub?) for years, but this year my waiting paid off.  There are only two flowers on it, but it's a start.  I've been checking this bud every five minutes, just to make sure I don't miss it in full bloom like I did the first one.

While I was outside with my camera, I took a few more shots.  I planted my flowers super late, so nothing is too amazing yet.  But it's fun watching them grow.






We spent a lovely evening at Mike & Darla's for Canada Day yesterday.  The sun started shining just as we left our house, which was a happy surprise.  The kids (and Mike) all swam lots and we had yummy sangrias and a delicious country boil of seafood, potatoes, and corn.  Then things got complicated because I wanted to go to the park to see the fireworks, but no one else in my family wanted to leave.  I didn't really want to leave either, but I hadn't seen the fireworks up close for a few years so I went anyway.  Spencer and I zipped home (where he stayed) and I biked to the park and met up with Jim and Bella and Bob and Jan and the girls.  After the fireworks, I biked home and then drove to Mike & Darla's to pick up Neve and Dale.  But it all worked out and I'm glad I went - the fireworks were really nice, including some I've never seen before.  If only I could have been in two places at once.

My sister took the kids to my parents' for the day today, so I've been catching up on work in my peaceful, quiet house.  Tomorrow I get to go to work in a peaceful, quiet office, so by Friday I should be ready to face the children again.  We had a rough morning today when I tried to hurry them out the door at 10:30 a.m. Apparently it didn't take long to get used to sleeping in.  

This is what I do when no one's around.  Just because I can.









I need to go outside and check my peony now.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love peonies. I have been thinking about planting some for a few years now, but have resisted the urge because I heard that they require ants to pollinate/open the buds and we have enough ants around here already. But your picture aroused me enough to google ants and peonies (source of all knowledge*) and it turns out they don't need ants...they do attract them just before the bud opens, but then the ants are gone. So...do I want to attract more ants for a short period of time?? Hmmm...I may just have to check into this more. I read that you should plant them in fall...did you? Email me your peony wisdom. :)

Sheri-Lee

Daniel said...

Do NOT mistakenly send this blog post to your work people. Just sayin'.

The flowers are beautiful!

Anonymous said...

You're so funny. I was actually just checking in for the July 3rd posting though. :)

D.

L said...

haha, it was still July 3rd for quite a while after your comment! Unless you're in a different time zone! But it's up now!

Anonymous said...

You squeaked by! Could you write tomorrow's at 7:00 a.m.? Then I would spring out of bed a bit more quickly when I'm getting up before all of my family to get some work done!

D.

Anonymous said...

The middle pic is my fave. Jim