Tuesday, July 01, 2014

Summer vacation begins



Chloe and Spencer have been off school for a week or so, but Friday was Neve’s last day so today was the first official weekday of summer vacation. June has been stingy with its heat and sunshine, so it doesn’t really feel like summer yet. Someone told me that they know someone who knows someone who is very accurate with their weather predictions, and that person says we will have a hot summer that won’t start until mid-July, but the heat will continue well into fall.  This is sketchy, unreliable, unscientific information, but I’m clinging to it like Chloe clings to her cell phone. I can bear the rain if I know there is hope ahead. 

Actually Chloe is not clinging to her cell phone these days.  She left for Florida on Saturday morning with her youth group and left her cell phone behind (on purpose).  They are partnering with a mission down there and will help out wherever needed. So three van-fulls of kids and leaders have been driving for three days, arriving at their destination tonight.  That sounds sort of nightmarish, but sort of awesome.  Those leaders deserve more praise and gifts and rewards than I’ll ever be able to give them.  But I do love road trips a lot, so I’m actually pretty jealous.  The youth leader is great at social media, so we’ve been following their progress on Instagram (if anyone’s interested in following them, let me know and I’ll give you the name of the Instagram account).

After Chloe left, we threw together some beach things and headed for the Quarry with friends.  The sky looked cloudy and slightly ominous, but we thought positive thoughts and hoped for the best.  Unfortunately, “the best” was an hour and a half of cloudy weather before the rain came and messed everything up. It was hardly worth putting on sunscreen. Or paying admission.  Except there was about 60 seconds where the sun shone very powerfully through the clouds and I lay on the blanket and soaked up such intense heat that it felt like I might burst into flames.  And then a cloud covered up the sun, never to let it reappear.  But that was an awesome minute.

As disappointing as the short beach day was, there’s nothing like a long nap on a rainy afternoon.  And then we went out for dinner with Doug and Lorie and had a lovely evening.  Sunday was another dreary day which Dale and I spent wisely, thoroughly cleaning our room.  We went through clothes, got rid of lots of stuff, moved the furniture to clean underneath everything, and washed walls and curtains. There is still room for organizational improvement, but It felt pretty good to sleep in a clean room.  I’m on a mission to thoroughly clean the house room by room; Neve’s room is next. We’ll see if she can part with any of her trinkets or papers or ten thousand Rainbow Loom bracelets.

Anyway, the summer holidays did not exactly begin with a bang but it’s been pretty sweet sleeping in and not having to fill out field trip forms or check for lice every day.  There was a lice infestation in Neve’s class in the midst of the craziness of the past month or so.  I was scared to check her hair in case I found lice, but I was even more scared not to check.  I’m pretty sure finding lice would have pushed me over the edge.  Now things are more under control, but I really don’t want lice now that I’m starting to clean my house anyway.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Seriously dying of curiosity over here and was anxiously awaiting this post to hear...what you got from your co-worker! :) Hearing how clean your house is making me nervous about you seeing the state of mine tonight. Just remember...we had thought it would be an outdoor kind of occassion. :)

D.

Anonymous said...

I took a hint from your one room at a time cleaning this spring and started with a bang. We moved through all the rooms fairly quickly but got stuck on Ben's for about a month and a half. Rainbow loom and papers and lego and CRAP...we finally did it last week. But now we have to tackle the basement...basement of doom.

This is my favourite part of your post today:

Except there was about 60 seconds where the sun shone very powerfully through the clouds and I lay on the blanket and soaked up such intense heat that it felt like I might burst into flames. And then a cloud covered up the sun, never to let it reappear. But that was an awesome minute.

Sheri-Lee