Tuesday, September 02, 2014

September is still summer

 
The title above is my new favourite motto/hashtag. I actually stole it from Ace Burpee because I love it so much. I always get sad this time of year because it feels like all the fun is over, so it cheers me up to realize just because the month is 09 instead of 08, it doesn't mean we have to start crocheting and baking pumpkin pies and wearing sweaters. Actually it sort of does mean we have to wear sweaters, but just light ones - not the big wool kind. Because summer's not over, people!
 
However, summer vacation is officially over. I have no inspirational hashtag for that. We made the most of our final evening by biking over to the park for a picnic supper, followed by ice cream at Sargent Sundae. Jim & Sabrina and Janet and the girls joined us on pretty short notice, so it was really fun. In a lucky coincidence, we bumped into Blake & Kristin at Sargent Sundae, which was icing on the cake. They were still getting their ice cream when we took the picture (Kristin got pumpkin pie ice cream - she likes fall, but yet we are still friends.).
 


 
We basically had the park to ourselves ... everyone else was being responsible and getting their kids bathed and put to bed at a decent hour. We stayed so late we had to bike home in the dark and then we all watched Amazing Race Canada after that. I hope that doesn't come back to haunt me in the morning. Who cares, it was Worth It because .... September is still summer.

Chloe is sort of excited about the new school year, but Neve is worried and Spencer is a disaster. He always gets very anxious right before school starts. On his "first day of school" picture, his face is always chalk white and his eyes are filled with terror and dread. But at the end of the day, he is basically euphoric from the relief of having the first day over with. I don't know if it's healthy to have such a range of emotion in one day, but it's worked out okay the first eight years. 
 
Neve's prayer tonight mostly consisted of variations of "Please help my stomach to stop hurting. Please help me not to throw up." I hope that works out too.

(PS: This blog post is for cousin Carolyn whose sister-in-law was killed in a car accident on the weekend. There is no tie-in whatsoever to the content of this post, but Carolyn asked for more blogging, so it's the least I can do. Losing a sister-in-law sucks. Stay strong.)


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awwwwww.....thx so much for thinking of me! Great that your post was about good family times! You are the best irresponsible parent there is! Hope the kiddies have a great first day-no puking would make it stellar!
-Cousin Carolyn

Daniel said...

I just love that group photo!! Wish we could have squeezed in there too!

Carolyn, I'm so sorry for your loss.