Sunday, October 12, 2014

Day 12

Today was the centre of a Thanksgiving sandwich. That makes more sense in my head; what I’m trying to say is that it was a day off between two Thanksgiving family dinners. We had no plans or obligations so it was a blank slate.

The forecast called for a rainy day so I thought it would be a great day to take the kids to see the movie “Alexander and the Terrible Horrible No Good Very Bad Day.” Neve has anxiety issues with movie theatres and hasn’t seen a movie in the theatre since she was a toddler. We took her to see Santa vs. the Snowman at the Portage Place IMAX theatre,
which turned out to be an error in judgment. It was big and loud and 3D. She was already scared when the opening credits zoomed toward us in a fun, cartoony way. We still laugh about her crying in fear, “Red A close to me!” She’s hated movies ever since, so it’s something we just don’t do as a family. I thought maybe she’d outgrown her fears by now and when I pitched the movie idea yesterday, she wasn’t completely against it.

The tides turned today when Spencer refused to go. He said he wasn’t into comedies (?!) and that he just wanted to stay home and read. That got Neve expressing her anxieties again, and in the end it was a beautiful afternoon so we played soccer and went to the playground and for a bike ride instead. I am not one to squander a precious warm day in October. Actually I’m sure I have in the past, but not today. After a wholesome, fresh-air-filled day, Dale and I went to see the movie Gone Girl. We both loved the book and the movie was pretty great too. When we got home, Neve was fast  asleep, Chloe was doing homework (or whatever it is that an unsupervised teen does in her room with two computers, an iPod and a cell phone) and Spencer was reading the Bible. To quote Dale’s text earlier this month: sometimes I feel like I’m on Candid Camera. Not to be cliché with things I’m thankful for, but I’m very grateful for my kids who are (usually) pretty confident and not afraid to be unique.

1 comment:

Daniel said...

Haha! yup, wonderfully unique kids you've got there!