Tuesday, November 04, 2014

Why is it so dark at 5:30?

The thing I like about daily blogging is that it provides a more accurate glimpse into everyday life. When I blog less consistently, it's usually about someone's birthday or a special occasion or event. But when I look back and read old entries from a year or two (or eight) ago, the plain, unexciting posts that remind me of the different stages we've gone through as a family are the ones I like best. I definitely can't see myself blogging every day, but I'm just writing this down to remind myself to do a daily blogging stint every once in a while.

Today was an odd day. I had work to do but no tight deadlines, so I lacked focus. I'd do some work, then get up and roam around the house. These are some of the things I did:
  • I removed all the screens and washed the windows.
  • I put away all our summer shoes. By "put away" I mean I threw them all down the basements stairs to deal with later.
  • I found a technique online to remove salt stains from footwear so I cleaned all our boots and shoes.
  • I watched four episodes of The Mindy Project (I love it, Corinna) while eating a toasted tomato sandwich for lunch
  • I cleaned off the kitchen counter, including some things that had been there for weeks because I didn't know what to do with them.
  • I made naan bread (again). Dale put a pork roast in the slow cooker this morning before work and I thought it would be a nice change to have naan bread with the pulled pork instead of buns. It wasn't. Last week when I made naan bread, we ate it all so fast and everyone wanted more. Today I made a double recipe and there are a thousand pieces left. It doesn't go with pulled pork.
Reviewing the list of achievements makes it seem like a productive day, but it doesn't feel like it. I felt blah and unmotivated all day. I'll be like everyone else and blame it on the time change.

Now it's time to tease my dad. This is his Facebook status.


I'm guessing he meant to search for Lilystone Farm but he must have typed it into his status bar instead. And then he liked it! Yay Dad! If you're his Facebook friend, you should go like it too. We're not laughing at you, Dad, we're laughing with you. I think it's awesome that you're on Facebook and you should post things way more often. You've come a long way with technology; the early days when you would send emails with the whole message in the subject line in all caps are a distant memory.

I feel like going to bed but it's not even 8:00. I guess I'll go roam around the house and look for things to do that don't require much focus. Maybe I'll deal with the pile of shoes at the bottom of the basement stairs.

6 comments:

Daniel said...

I loved Dad's post too!

The early darkness totally throws me off too - bedtime came early for us last night, and I slept solid, except for the part where I elbowed Jenn, and she shoved my arm back over to my side. Oops.

Sounds like a very productive day - sometimes it's better to make a list at the end of the day instead of the beginning - much more satisfying!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Sounds like you accomplished a lot! I thought of putting my screens away today, but I went to bed instead. I saw dad's post and was confused. It's all good! Jim

Anonymous said...

I went to bed at 7:30 a couple of nights ago...got up at 10:30 and made school lunches, unloaded the dishwasher and folded a load of laundry and then went back to bed. I think I got almost 11 hours sleep. mmmm sleep.

Sheri-Lee

Anonymous said...

I meant to ask what the salt removal technique was.

Sheri-Lee

L said...

Here's the link, Sheri-Lee: http://www.11andchic.com/2013/03/how-to-remove-salt-stains-from-leather.html

Anonymous said...

This post was funny! I also posted on your previous post but I must not have actually sent it coz it's not there. Or you no longer like me. Whatevs. It's cool, yo.

Your dad and my dad should meet...

xo Sio