Friday, January 23, 2015

ah ... global warming ...

It’s four degrees in Winnipeg today. Plus four. PLUS FOUR!! It feels like spring. The sun came out and snowmen are melting and everyone is in a good mood. Except for that one person who has the nerve to say they actually prefer the cold because their car gets so dirty on the slushy streets. I haven’t heard anyone say that yet, but if I do, I’ll … I’ll … I can think of many nasty things, but I’ll probably just give them a hug and tell them Love Wins. They probably had a horrible childhood and suffered tragedies and addictions and just need some love. There can be no other reason to complain on a January day like today.

All week has been pretty nice. We went sliding and skating at our community centre on the weekend, I managed to get myself outside for a run, and Dale and I went for a walk last night. The kids always need a little encouragement to get outside. Chloe walks home from school every day and Neve plays outside at recess and walks to and from school, but the boy doesn’t get much fresh air. I forced the kids to build a snowman after school today. They weren't pleased, but we now have a cute little snow princess in our front yard. 

Also this week, I had a little visit with Hillary Clinton. Except she did all the talking and she probably couldn’t see me way at the back of the room, but I feel like we had a connection. I clipped a recipe from the newspaper years ago called Hillary Clinton’s Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies, which I often make because the kids love them. I’d be surprised if she has personally ever made those cookies, but nevertheless, I felt a bond. Even though all I saw was a tiny speck (thought I better add the circle to the photo below) on the stage, she came across as well-spoken and intelligent and more down to earth and likeable than I expected. The audience seemed to really like her. A couple of my colleagues even got a picture with Hillary, which is kind of exciting since she could possibly become the next President of the United States. But she's just a regular person like the rest of us and it would get tiring having Secret Service with you all the time and dogs sniffing for explosives and everyone making a big deal about you and posing for countless photos. At least that's what I tell myself.
 


I have a brief lull in my wild and crazy Friday night of transporting children to various activities, so I better go make the most of it. Happy weekend, everyone!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love that Chloe walks home very day! And I thick its hilarious that you boot them all out to go build snowmen.

And cool about Hilary! My friends Robbie and Terry went as well and really enjoyed it.

xo Sio