Sunday, January 04, 2015

Almost over ...

Our Christmas break is slowly coming to an end. I’d say it’s been a big success. It’s been so great having a break from our regular routine and spending days on end together in our cozy house. We’ve watched many movies and endless episodes of Full House, played games, finished two puzzles, stayed up too late, slept in too long, listened to records, read, eaten tons of chocolate, and Dale and I have played a lot of Sudoku (we race each other.  Ask Dale who usually wins). We did not get lots of exercise or fresh air or green vegetables. It’s been awesome … exactly what we needed.

But it’s almost time to turn the page and move to the next chapter. I’m getting tired of Beatles records and pale white faces staring at the TV. Neve convinced me to sleep in the fort she made in the playroom last night and let me tell you, that was not the best night I’ve ever had. After she woke up, I crawled into my own bed for a few more hours until I started having crazy dreams. I’ve been sleeping so late that my dreams all end up weird and disturbing, usually involving a bird of some kind. This morning it was a seagull. Even Dale said today he’s looking forward to going to work on Monday, and he hasn’t been off work nearly as long as I have. I think we’re all ready for a bit of structure again.
 
Here's a note I put on the fridge today that proves I'm ready to have the house to myself for a few hours a day. The numbers are low because I put it up in the morning and it inspired (or scared) everyone to take responsibility for their dishes the rest of the day. I was getting frustrated with seeing dirty dishes on the counter every time I turned around.
 
 

As mentioned, Spencer is pretty passionate about listening to records. Every day he asks to go to second-hand stores to look for records. Until now, he has detested second-hand stores and refused to have anything to do with them. But now he’s excited about acquiring new records. The only problem is that he is just looking for Beatles records. I told him he should diversify and find some other bands he likes. After much research on YouTube, he announced that he now also likes Paul McCartney and Wings. Oh dear. He went door to door today handing out flyers for snow-shovelling services in order to make some record money. Someone hired him today already, so he was pleased. He keeps asking when it’s supposed to snow again. At least it got him outside.

Speaking of Spencer, here’s a conversation we had the other day:

Spencer: Is anyone dying that you haven’t told us about?
Me: No! Why do you ask?
Spencer: Well, you didn’t tell us right away that Auntie Joan had cancer.
Me: Sometimes it takes a few days for adults to process things before they tell kids bad news.
Pause.
Spencer: Are you processing anything right now?

Thankfully, I'm not. Have a happy lazy Sunday. I'll be spending it trying to get as organized as I can before reality sets in, probably while listening to Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha-Lowell, who does our grocery shopping, also commented he has not bought any veggies these past 2 weeks!
Enjoy getting back into the swing of things!
-Cousin Carolyn

Anonymous said...

Get Spencer a pair of head phones!!

Lazy days are fun, but it is also nice to get back into routine!

xo Sio

Anonymous said...

Spencer might also like to listen to The Who, The Hollies, Rolling Stones and The Kinks - Happy listening..

L said...

Sio - he has headphones but apparently it's way more fun listening to it out loud!

Anonymous - Thanks for the recommendations - I'll pass them on. I also suggested the Rolling Stones to him, so I think you're on the right track.