Sunday, March 08, 2015

Let it Be


Darla asked for a new post, so this rambling report is dedicated to her.

We'll start with today. It was one of those days that make you feel alive and joyous and gives you a reason to go on living. Not that I needed one, but it's always nice to have extra. The temperature was above zero and the sun actually felt warm on my face. Neve and I went for a walk on the river trail quickly before the ice starts to melt and they shut it down. I know there are still two months of sketchy weather ahead; one day can be nice enough to go barefoot in flats and the next day there's a blizzard. All the more reason to celebrate a day like today.

Last night Spencer and I went to see Let it Be, a Beatles Tribute show. We love the Beatles. Spencer is quite passionate about them and probably knows more songs than I do. And I know my fair share, including some pretty obscure ones. The tribute band was actually really good. Most songs sounded exactly like the original. The audience consisted of a lot of older people. There weren't many 13 year old boys to be seen. The most interesting thing besides the concert itself was watching the security guards. They were nice, friendly grandpas who were super helpful with showing people to their seats before the show started but as soon as the music started, they became hardcore security dudes. Photography was prohibited and they made their way down the aisles to scold anyone who dared to snap a picture, even if their phone or camera was long put away by the time the security guy got there. Among other things, dancing in the aisle was frowned upon (in front of your seat was allowed) and it was funny to see their vigilance as they carried out their duties. They would have put the Secret Service to shame. And at intermission, they instantly became the gentle grandfatherly types again.


The couple beside us was also interesting. They were maybe in their late 20s and appeared to be on a date. Conversation was stiff and awkward at first, but then the drinks started setting in. One of them left their seats every 15 minutes or so - and had to squeeze past us every time - except during the intermission, when they stayed seated in their seats the entire time. Shortly into the show, they started whispering occasionally, which progressed into full-out talking the entire second half of the show. They had to speak pretty loudly to be heard over that pesky background music, but they succeeded. The guy also started singing "Eight Days a Week" at regular intervals, but he didn't know any words except the title. Anyway, they seemed pretty comfortable with each other by the time it was over. It didn't actually bother me too much because I could turn my back to them, and Spencer was so enthralled by the music he didn't even notice.

I didn't even want to take a picture until they told us we couldn't, so I snuck a couple. The joke's on me though because you can't even tell what it is.

 


 The rest of my post is just pictures I've taken lately.  Here's my brother Jim's Cadillac that he's been working on for years. He has possibly put more love and care into restoring this car than he has into raising his daughters. I'm kidding of course, but then again, he has never asked me to take pictures of his children ...
 





 
If you like what you see, I have hundreds more. Or if you're the World of Wheels type, you can go see it there in person in two weeks. If the number of people who stopped to take a look at the car while I was taking pictures is any indication, this baby should get a lot of attention.
 
And this baby turned seven on Friday. She had a hot tub and spa birthday party with her friends while I took pictures of the Caddy. Bella is fun and smart and full of life and energy and we're all pretty crazy about her.

 
 
Birthday season is in full swing - my great-niece Nixi turned three yesterday. I missed her party because of the Let it Be concert, but Chloe and Neve went. There were pictures, but right now I don't know how to get them from Chloe's phone to this blog post. She's another cutie that we are lucky to have in our lives - she always makes us laugh and I just want to squeeze her whenever I see her.
 
And here's a couple of random pictures from a week or two ago. I call them "Cousins" and "Trees." I'm creative like that.
 
 
 
 

There are lots of other I could write about, like my awesome aunt's amazing wedding (say that ten times fast), Neve's gymnastics competition yesterday and assorted other topics. But I better get to bed with this time change and all. Dale's been sick all weekend, so I'm not really in a hurry to get to bed. He coughs a lot and his coughs often turn into phlegmy situations that I will not discuss further. He is not the greatest sick person and my nurturing skills are horrendous. I'm not going to lie; it's a bad combination. I am praying for healing.


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Ellen!

You did not disappoint! :)

D.

Anonymous said...

I have very little empathy for those who do not help themselves. i.e. I'm sure you can get up and get your own kleenex...or better yet just reach them on your bedside table without getting out of bed instead of waking me in the night to go and get you one. Or the famous my shoulder hurts when you've already explained stretches and exercises that can be done to combat that but never get done. I pray for swift deaths as I lay in bed beside said person and count to 10. :P I'm sure Dale is not like that.

Today I was on my deck in my socks and no jacket...for at least 5 minutes. What??? AWESOME.

Sheri-Lee

Anonymous said...

OMG Sheri-Lee and Ellen you have both made me laugh out loud with the man-cold syndrome. Is there ANY marriage that doesn't share the same story?? We have an extra bed (i.e. - couch) for the sick person to go sleep on. And yes, even I sleep on it when necessary!

Ellen - I love those last two photos. The kids look so happy and the trees are beautiful. And Nixi IS squishy cute!! I love seeing her photos when she shows up in the blog. Hey - any more of the new babe??

xo Sio

Anonymous said...

Can't believe no ones commenting on the Caddy pics!?!?!!! I think you did a great job!!!!

Anonymous said...

Nice Caddy, Jim! And Happy Birthday!
(I really did like your caddy before Ellen told us to tell you...I just got caught up in my man cold rant...sorry).

You da man (without a cold).
Sheri-Lee

Daniel said...

Those are gorgeous Caddy photos! They nicely capture the sheen of that flawless paint job!

I love it that Spencer is such a Beatles fan - looks like a fun show, and I followed the progression of the first-date couple with rapt attention.

Love the photos of the kids - so sweet all in a row! And i really like the trees!