Tuesday, May 19, 2015

May long weekend

We’re just coming off a crazy May long weekend. Not crazy busy or crazy wild, just crazy weather. Friday was lovely – not hot, but nice enough to sit on the deck for happy hour well into the evening – and the rumours of rain, snow and freezing temperatures seemed silly.

Sure enough, Saturday morning dawned sunny and bright and warm(ish). As I mentioned in my last post, Teresa’s family put on a 5K memorial run/walk in her honour and it was a perfect morning for it. Lots of people showed up in support of Teresa, her family and the Rosenort river trail. Teresa would have turned 45 on Saturday; it still feels wrong when her friends and family get together to celebrate and she’s not there. But I guess a person gets used to “wrong,” so it felt a tiny bit less wrong than last year. Or maybe I was just better at pushing away the sad thoughts this year. I still miss her every day and wish we could sit down and have a long visit because there’s so much we need to catch up on. Anyway, it was a lovely morning and her sisters did such a great job of organizing it.  I’m pretty sure Teresa will have loved seeing us all walking on her beloved trail.



Just when we thought the weather predictions were all wrong, the rain started Saturday evening and didn’t stop all day Sunday. Then it got worse and turned into snow. Yeah, snow. That’s what we woke up to on Victoria Day. Luckily it melted pretty quickly and turned into a sunny (but cold) day. Let that be a reminder to all of us never to go camping on May long weekend.


FROM THIS ….


TO THIS!!!

Because of the weather, Sunday and Monday were spent inside. We purged several garbage bags and two totes from Chloe and Neve’s rooms. Chloe’s room in particular was a wasteland of excess clothing, papers, overflowing drawers, momentos, miscellaneous stuff and more stuff. We worked on it for several hours and we could easily spend a couple more. It’s tough to find the time though because once you get going, it’s hard to stop. I bought the book “The Life-changing Magic of Tidying Up” and even though I haven’t started it yet, it’s already changing my way of thinking. She’s all about the purging and keeping only the things that “spark joy.” That’s going to leave me with only my favourite pen, my pink heels, and my grapefruit body lotion. Be that as it may.

We also played games and went bowling, went out for dinner with Blake & Kristin (Marion Street Eatery – so good!) watched TV, slept in, and read. I read one and a half books - What Kind of Mother Are You? (from Dale for Mother’s Day) and The Invention of Wings – and started Hope, which is about the abducted Cleveland girls.


We need a selfie stick. Just kidding, don't buy me one!


The rest of the week/month are going to be a busy blur so this little break made me very happy. Even in spite of the snow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Winnipeg is just weird ( I have just done a bunch of social media stuff and almost hash tagged "winnipeg". When did I become one of those people?!?) .

So glad that it was sunny with big turn out for Teresa's run, though!

Purging!! Yay!! I love purging!! But not food...

xo Sio