Wednesday, September 09, 2015

Comparison Week - Another Brick in the Wall Day

 
Grade 12, Grade 5, Grade 9
 
We did the back-to-school shopping two weeks ago and I felt pretty organized. I was hoping for a relaxed low-key evening last night, but at 8:15 when Spencer tried to put his binder in his new backpack, he discovered it didn’t fit. So I had to zip out to exchange it, while Chloe baked cookies to bring to school for the grade 9 kids she’s mentoring. Then I noticed everyone’s school runners were dirty so I threw them into the washer while trying to find a bag Neve could use for her gym clothes and trying to finish up some of my own work in the meantime. But it all worked out in the end and we even fit in a family card game or two before herding the children to bed.
This morning, everyone was out the door by 8:30. Chloe got picked up by a friend, Spencer biked to school with a friend, and I walked Neve to school early since she was on patrol duty. It was strange; I just walked her to the corner and left. Usually I stay to visit with other parents, but it seemed odd to wait around while Neve was patrolling. Neve’s best school friend switched schools this year and the absence of her and her mother makes me sad. So it appears to be a different school year from day one. But it’s a good thing I headed straight home because I forgot I had a pan of muffins in the oven and the timer must have been ringing for some time.
This fall, both my niece and our next door neighbour girl left home to go to university in another city. I know I’ve got many more years of having children at home, but it’s given me a new appreciation for having my kids home with me and a good reminder to enjoy it while I can. There are many minutes when it’s very hard to enjoy everything, but I’m giving it my best shot. I can, however, enjoy them being at school all day. School is a blessing for the work-from-home parent. We had a good summer and now it’s time to move on. The kids are ready to get back into a routine and tackle new challenges. But I’ll be watching the clock this afternoon, waiting for them to get home. So I can hide the wine and chocolate and turn off Netflix. Haha, not really. Well, maybe just a little.
Today's comparison is, of course, school related. Here are my babies five years ago when they were entering grade 4, grade 7, and Kindergarten.
 

And this is today.


I'd just like to note that I bought Spencer new shoes, jeans, t-shirts, and a hoodie, none of which he chose to wear today. At least he's using his new backpack.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like how someone is shoeless in each photo. It's like you had to choose which child got footwear that year.

Time really does fly, doesn't it? I cannot believe Aimee and Chloe are graduating this year. I am still trying to deal with my nephew last year and Laura and Ashely the years prior!

Give them lots of hugs when they get home. Then give them lots of chores so they are quiet and out of your hair ;) .

xo Sio

Anonymous said...

Hey! Teacher! Leave those kids alone. :)

Have you read this blog. This post kills me...it's like she's right inside my brain:

http://jenhatmaker.com/blog/2013/08/16/worst-end-of-summer-mom-ever-a-sequel

Sheri-Lee