Sunday, September 06, 2015

September

I'm going to skip the usual whining about summer ending and just try to be mature and thankful for the great summer that it has been and continues to be. Remember #septemberisstillsummer. My moment of maturity will probably pass and then I'll complain bitterly so enjoy it while you can.

In the meantime, here is yet another batch of random summer pics.


This was at my parents' house the last week Dan was here. My dad had rented this equipment for trimming trees so Dan took the kids up in it. Because why wouldn't you? He took the giant-bubble-solution up with them and soon lovely bubbles were floating through the yard. After they came back down, the bubbles continued in the yard.


Since there was still bubble solution remaining, Dan also brought it to the park the afternoon before he went back to Vancouver. It sounds like we're obsessed with bubbles, but they really were pretty amazing. I took many many pictures, which I'm sure I will look back on some day and wonder why. Or maybe not. Maybe I'll wish I had taken more. At the park, there was a day care group who was so captivated with the bubbles that we had to put them away so they could listen to their leaders.



After our KFC lunch, we wandered around the English Gardens and had ice cream. It was a nice end to Dan's visit even though it's always sad to see him leave.





This past week was nice and hot, so I went to the Quarry on Wednesday with Karen and the kids. It was Sept. 2 and one of the hottest days of the summer. It's so hard to believe that was probably our last beach day of the season. Every year it's mind-blowing to think how quickly the weather can change. Oh right, I'm not going down that road! 


Friends of ours from church have invited a bunch of people over every Wednesday evening to swim in their pool and then watch The Amazing Race Canada. We have gone as often as we could and it's been one of the highlights of Neve's summer. Well, for all of us, but especially Neve. They have a gorgeous backyard and home and we feel so lucky that they've shared it with us. They are continuing to do this until Amazing Race ends in a few weeks so it's nice to have that piece of summer extend into the school year.



We're enjoying a very laid-back Labour Day weekend. Following the first Happy Hour in a month or so, Mike and Darla came for dinner on Friday night. It was fun to catch up and hear all about their summer adventure to the east coast (and make them listen to ours). And of course, to play Rook.

Saturday we had our sort-of annual (sometimes we skip a year) Labour Day girls/boys day. Chloe, Neve and I spent all afternoon shopping. We all got some new clothes, treated ourselves to pretzels and lattes and smoothies, and just generally shopped til we pretty much dropped. Then we came home to dump our bags and change our clothes and headed to Moxie's for dinner. We ended the day by coming home and watching a movie (Sister Act). Even though shopping isn't my favourite - never mind on a crowded crazy Saturday - my lack of specific goals helped a lot. There were some great sales and we ended up being very productive and had a lot of fun.




And yes, Chloe got her hair coloured on Friday. It's hard to see on the pictures, but it's a dark purply-red colour and she's very happy with it. Baby's first hair dye … welcome to the rest of your life.

Meanwhile, Dale and Spencer went to see the Greek exhibit at the art gallery, went to Five Guys for burgers, hung out at the bookstore, and went to see a movie. They seemed pretty happy at the end so I declare it all a rousing success.

The rest of the weekend will be spent relaxing and getting organized for the start of the s-word. I have mixed feelings about getting back into routine but since there's nothing I can do about it, I chose to embrace it. Ask me again on Wednesday.

3 comments:

Daniel said...

I love your girls / boys day - what a great sometimes tradition!

You've packed a lot of summer into the summer - and yeah, thank goodness #septemberisstillsummer!

Of course I'd take the kids up on the lift! Why ever not?!? Heh, those were good times!

Anonymous said...

I love Chloe's hair! I noticed it right away and it made me smile. Oh, how many times I experimented with colour!! Sometimes I miss that daring and spontaneity in myself, but in the end I am pretty content to stick with plain ol' hilites.

I also love your boy/girl day!! What a fun tradition indeed!

xo Sio

Anonymous said...

Thanks for helping start our long weekend off on a perfect note and for obliging my new blog post request!!

D.