Thursday, November 26, 2015

Birthday boy

The trip report is dragging out much longer than expected. Things have been busy. I have been weary. I'm trying to get in the Christmas spirit since somehow Christmas is less than one month away. Every year I try to finish shopping by December 1st so that I can enjoy the month of December. I'm pretty sure that's a myth because I don't know anyone who honestly just sits and enjoys December.  I've certainly never reached that pie in the sky but one of these years, I will. This is likely not the year since I've only bought a few small items so far. I've already adjusted my goal; if I'm finished by Dec. 18 when the kids are out of school, I'll be happy.

Either way, I need to get moving so I am dedicating tomorrow to shopping. You may recall I don't love shopping. To make it far worse, tomorrow happens to be Black Friday. I wish that day hadn't been allowed to cross the border. I am disappointed in our border guards. I'd prefer to stay far away from any cash register, but Black Friday just happens to correspond with one of my only free days in weeks. So I've been poring through flyers and online sites in order to make my day as efficient and productive as possible. The plus side is that there are some pretty good deals; the down side … well, it's grim. But I will gather my courage and try to be brave and strong. I'm also going to try to shop in smaller, local stores rather than the mall. One of the things I've been working on at work is our shop local campaign so I'm all fired up to keep my support in the community. There are some great companies involved; you can check it out here.


On a happier note, it was Dale's birthday on Monday. He is beginning his final year of being in his 40s, but he doesn't like to talk about that. He'd rather talk about his massages. We celebrated with a few family members on Sunday. I made a strawberry/cream cheese trifle at his request. I didn't have the heart to tell him strawberries are very out of season and I had to pay $14 for decent ones. That should have been birthday present enough, but I also planned a surprise evening at Thermea. I texted him at work to tell him to come straight to the spa and Bob & Janet and I were already there (it was an early birthday surprise for Bob as well). It was so awesome. I'd really like a seasons pass. I love the feeling of the extreme hot and cold, and nothing beats sitting in the hot tub in the cold air with the smell of a campfire. It reminds me of skiing in the mountains but it's closer and cheaper. We also had dinner in the restaurant, wearing our big bulky bathrobes. I don't even like eating breakfast in my bathrobe at home because my sleeves always get in the food so this was kind of awkward but when in Rome… I hadn't heard great things about the food, but we all really enjoyed it and it far exceeded our expectations.

Another fun thing I did lately was hang out with some of my favourite people who came from some of my favourite people. It's like a riddle. My cousin Teresa's kids came over on Saturday and we hung out in the Exchange for a few hours. Those are smart, funny, and good-looking kids, just like their mother (and father!). I hate that life is so busy that I don't get to spend as much time with some people as I'd like, but I don't know how to be less busy. Well, I did spend over five hours at the spa, so I really can't complain. Siobhan would tell me to live in the moment and enjoy the present, right? I'm trying.
At Bronuts. And yes, Spencer brought a book.

2 comments:

Daniel said...

Oooo, that Thermea place looked SO inviting when Janet & I rode by there in summer, and sounds even better in winter!! Eating in a robe seems challenging.
Good luck shopping tomorrow - and good for you to go local!

Anonymous said...

I WOULD tell you to live in the moment....but I am having a difficult time doing it myself!! I am working at lululemon over christmas and all I've been doing is being BUSY. I run from one thing to the next. So now I can't wait until January. I like it much better when I am lazy and have only one class to teach in the day and can't pay off my credit card.

Does Spencer ever smile? Hahah!!

xo Sio