Sunday, January 03, 2016

Christmas recap

The much-anticipated holidays are almost over. We had a great Christmas: celebrating with family and friends, time spent hanging out at home, and getting a few house projects done. It was only a one-puzzle holiday, I didn’t read much, and we didn’t get outside as much as I would have liked. Part of me is disappointed about that, but the realistic part of me knows that there are only so many hours in the day. When I think about what we’ve all done around the house in the last week or so, it’s not surprising that I didn’t read three books like I normally do on holidays. I’ll save the list for another day and stick to a quick Christmas recap.

As stated in my last blog post, we spent a happy quiet day at home on Christmas Day. Chloe and her cousin Sarah went sliding in the afternoon, and later Dale and I went to Rob & Gab’s to see their lovely new house, popping in at Bob & Jan’s on our way home.  At home, we all watched Christmas Vacation and ate garbage. Mmmm.

The next day we went to Dale’s mom’s for the day. Dale’s sister from Miami and her family were here for Christmas, so it made it extra-special to have the entire family there. We had a great day of eating and relaxing and singing and playing games and ping pong. Who is the Kornelsen table tennis champion, you ask? I don’t want to brag or anything but that would be me. I’m enjoying it while I can because everyone is just out of practice and could all beat me if they weren’t rusty. I’m also enjoying it because my side of the family is not out of practice and I’m the worst player there. I think my mom could beat me and my four-year-old niece isn’t far behind. I realize that makes it sound like the Kornelsen side is really bad, but that’s not true. My family just takes it really seriously: Jim hasn’t been able to play lately because of a ping pong injury. I’m not making that up. He has to go to physio and everything.





The next day, we headed to my parents’ for another day of playing and laughing and eating excessively. Except for Dan & Jenn, my entire family was there most of the day so it was loud and fun. We stayed for night and played games, did a puzzle and went outside a bit the next day. Then we headed home to try to get our house in order. We’re still working on that a week later.







Other things we did during the holidays included going to see the movie Sisters with my sisters Janet & Sabrina (and coincidentally sat right beside another one of my sister-in-laws and her sister), going out for Thai food with Mike & Darla, Blake & Kristin came over for a rockin’ New Years Eve, the kids went to play laser tag with their cousins, Chloe got strep throat again, an old work friend came for a visit, watched lots of shows and movies, and my neighbour and I had a successful New Years Day happy hour. I’m sure there are other things I’m forgetting, but a lot of it was consumed by the projects I’ll talk about next time.

Now we’re down to the last few hours of our holiday. We’re heading to Rosenort to say goodbye to my parents before they head for their annual Florida life. And then we’ll come home and the kids will have meltdowns at the thought of homework and waking up early and making their lunch tomorrow. I’ll try to be strong and brave but I feel the same way about going back to work. As if that’s not bad enough, I have a dentist appointment first thing in the morning. What was I thinking? 

My hope for us and for all of you is that the transition will be smoother than we expect. Wishing you a happy New Year! I'm excited to see what this year brings … thanks for reading the blog!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good job on the tournament win!!! Now you know how awesome it feels to win, so maybe don't mock me anymore!! I'm getting pretty good with my left hand. It evens the playing field a bit. Jim (Costa Rica Champ)

Daniel said...

So good to hear all about your vacation activities, and LOVE all the photos! Nice to see that everyone else was at our family gathering.
Congrats on the ping-pong win! Savour that for a while.
Ugh, I'm not very happy about getting up for work this morning either.
Happy New Years! I always enjoy your blog!!