Sunday, January 31, 2016

Day 10 - ETM

I've fallen behind. On Friday I was out and about all day and didn't get a chance to record a Precious Moment (remember these? My friend collected them back in the day and I was in awe of their whimsical cuteness). I was back on track Saturday but when I tried to post late last night, my computer was being glitchy and I gave up and went to bed. So pretend you're reading this yesterday.

Rob & Gabrielle invited us over for dinner on short notice, which worked out great since our entire January has been pretty much wide open. Jim & Sabrina came too and we had a really fun night. Rob, Jim and I hung out together pretty much every day of our childhood and I feel lucky that we all still like each other and that we live in close enough proximity to still get together (every day might be a bit much now). This is going totally off topic, but a friend at work directed me to this blog called Wait But Why, and this post called The Tail End. The author is 34 and based on his estimate of living to be 90, he provides visuals of how many times he has left to do certain things, like watching the Superbowl or swimming in the ocean or eating pizza. It's an interesting way of seeing things. Then he talk about relationships: 

"In high school, I sat around playing hearts with the same four guys about five days a week. In four years, we probably racked up 700 group hangouts. Now, scattered around the country with totally different lives and schedules, the five of us are in the same room at the same time probably 10 days each decade. The group is in its final 7%."

I can't explain it very well - you should check it out for yourself but one of the points he makes is this: 

"1) Living in the same place as the people you love matters. I probably have 10X the time left with the people who live in my city as I do with the people who live somewhere else."

Dale and I lived away from Winnipeg for five years and I loved it and wouldn't trade those experiences.  But I'm also very happy that we moved back home. To have my kids grow up around family is something I'll always be thankful for. I know that's not possible for everyone and I realize more and more it's something I shouldn't take for granted.

End of inspirational but slightly depressing concept/epiphany/revelation.

Anyway, we have many years worth of memories to laugh about and hopefully many more ahead, starting with Mexico 2017 (right?!). Rob & Gab's gorgeous new house is the perfect party house. The only thing that's missing is a pool, or so they say. I've only seen their backyard when it's been covered in snow so I'm holding out hope that they've been tricking us and there actually is a pool underneath. 

Doesn't this look like something out of a magazine?! A magazine with a low-budget photographer, but still. 



Everyone except us recently returned from Mexico. They were all tanned and relaxed so mine and Dale's pale skin and pinched, stressed faces stood out like dandelions in a rose bush or whatever the saying is. I don't think that's even a saying. 

I have several "moments" to share today:

One dessert, three forks… so manly! Real men don't care how it looks.

Three girls doing a poetry reading, accompanied by music and dancing. That's a lot of arts and culture all in one picture.

And this little girl slept right through the poetry/music/dance show and everything else. 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness... we do not have too many percentage time left to play rook!!! Are you free tonight??? :)

D.

Anonymous said...

Oh dear...this may change my book reading. I have issues with not finishing books, but now, I may not have time to read all the great books out there plus all the ones that still haven't been written! Do I stop reading useless, awful books and move on to books worth my book reading time???

Games! Skating on the River (I only skate a few times a year...and I won't be skating when I'm 80 because that's one slip from breaking my hip so that means I have even less river skates)!

Vacations! Camping! (wait...that's not so bad...I'm running low on camp love as time goes on...I'm turning into at least 4 star hotel material).

Sheri-Lee

someone said...

How much do I love the "arts and culture" photo???

SL - don't bother with books that you aren't enjoying!! It's not worth it! Same for movies. Heck - even coffee dates! If you're not enjoying it, walk away!!

xo Sio

Daniel said...

This post made me a bit sad, knowing I'm missing out on all the family times. I'm so glad to see the photos though, especially the multi-art performance, and the the three guys / one dessert - so cute!

Putting up with the smell of fresh blossoms in January and 3 feet of fresh snow on the local mountains makes it a bit easier to take. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Yay!!!!! Mexico 2017!! We're in. Awe you still enjoy getting together with Rob?! Really? Jim

L said...

All these comments made me happy!

Rook and good books and cherry blossoms and fresh snow on ski hills and tropical vacations - all things I strive to experience more of!