Friday, May 13, 2016

Last China post

I'm going to wrap up my China trip and move on. I haven't properly sorted through my pictures yet so there are lots more, but I've got to stop somewhere.  I'll end with some fun signs we saw during the trip. The English translations were a constant source of entertainment.

Sign on the Great Wall

Hard to read but these signs say "BE CAREFUL NOT FALL INTO WATER SAFETY FIRST"  and "THE BOAT PLEASE WEAR A LIFE JACKET PLEASE DON'T STAND UP IN THE RUNNING OF THE SHIP"

No bad English on this sign - they made a bar for me! If I had one wish, I'd wish they hadn't put an owl (or whatever that is) on the logo.

Not entirely sure what they are trying to tell us here, but I liked how they'd often have warning signs with happy cartoon police officers. The police officers I saw in real were the exact opposite of happy cartoons.

Kind of like this: (well actually, exactly like this)

They don't make this easy. You have to bring the yardstick to find out how much breakfast is going to cost. Sorry, tall kids - you're paying extra. Also, a larger right margin would have been great.


This building was under construction so I believe this was a safety warning. I felt like I should stay and give it some attention.

Whoever did the translation for this just wasn't even trying. I  get the feeling he/she does not take pride in their job.

These are pretty mild ... click here or check out engrish.com for other translation fails that are way more extreme and not always suitable for children.

I'm looking into planning another Chamber trip to China next spring. It's really a fascinating country and even if you're not into bus tours, I have to say it's a really good way to do China. Not to mention super easy. All you have to do is give me your credit card number and every detail is taken care of!

1 comment:

someone said...

Oh my gosh but this post REALLY mad me laugh out loud!! WHY is it so hard to just get things translated properly?! Love that you had your own bar, and I REALLY love that it had a bird. Hahahaha!!

I'd love to do one of these trips with you. Can you do Hawaii? or Ireland? Oooooh - IRELAND!! How fun would that be???

Miss you, E. See you super soon!! xoxoxox

Sio