Sunday, May 08, 2016

Mother's Day


I'm feeling pretty lucky today … three pretty amazing kids that make me proud to be a mother, a mother who has been there for me for all 46 years of my life, and a pretty great mother-in-law as a bonus. I'm sorry for the many people who don't have their mothers anymore. It's just not fair; we should all have mothers until we're at least 70. I'm so thankful for all of them and try not to take it for granted. 

One thing I did not do this weekend is starve. It feels like I ate non-stop. Dale and the kids took me to India Palace for dinner Saturday night. 


I got breakfast in bed this morning, along with lots of presents. My family may not be perfect, but they buy great gifts. Neve made cute paintings and poems at school, including a painted paper wrapper around a little geranium. I love that so much - I know the years of home made gifts are coming to an end so I'm not taking it for granted. Chloe wrapped a mason jar with Body Shop soap, shower scrub and nail polish, Starbucks gift card, and chocolate. Spencer told me he would give me my gift at the end of the day, but it's now 11:22 p.m. and I have yet to see it. And Dale bought me the case I wanted for my new phone.





After Neve saw what I was wearing, she found clothes to match. She must love me the best because none of my other kids did that.

Here is Spencer drawing a rainbow on his leg during church with a dull pencil. I was so proud.

After church, we went to my sister's house to celebrate with my family. It was warm and sunny and we had a really fun afternoon in their beautiful yard.


We took many pictures, with every possible combination of people. I won't show them all, but trust me. Here are just a few:

Grandma and grandchildren

My mom with four out of five of her children

My mom with her daughters and daughters-in-law.

Then we went home and I went for a quick bike ride before eating yet another meal. Dale's mom came for dinner and we barbecued burgers.



 More pictures followed. I haven't taken this many pictures in one day for ages (other than in China).


Dale and his mom

We spent a beautiful evening on the deck. Dale set up the trampoline this afternoon and Neve jumped for hours. Then Dale's mom mentioned that Jupiter is currently visible, so we dug out Dale's old telescope. We could see Jupiter and two of its moons, which was pretty cool. 

 


It was a good day. Why can't it be Mother's Day every day?

3 comments:

someone said...

As always, I love this post!!

I laughed out loud at Spencer drawing rainbows on himself. I love how Dale and his mom have the exact same tentative smile :). I also love how your trampoline would not pass one single safety inspection.

You DO have awesome kids, Ellen! Happy Mama's Day!!

xo Sio

Daniel said...

So nice to see all those great people! Love the multiple variations of groups - wish I could have completed the Mom & kids photo. :-( Love it that Neve matched your outfit - sweet!! Very cool, seeing Jupiter & moons! Oh c'mon Sio, the trampoline springs are covered - that's way more than the one we grew up on! And we all lived.

Yep, I agree, Ellen - you've raised a wonderful bunch of kids!

Anonymous said...

Way to go Mom for knowing Jupiter was visible! Sweet.

Also, I noticed in the first picture your little Mini-Me and was going to comment on it before you pointed it out. :)

Happy Mother's Day to a great Mom.
Sheri-Lee