Monday, September 12, 2016

Weekend report



I've already posted this on Instagram but I just wanted to cover all my bases and post it here too. Dale took this picture and he included the cat. Of course. This was Chloe's third day of school and the other kids' second.

It was a decent first week back. The nice thing is that no activities had begun yet so we could ease into things. All five of us were home for dinner on Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday. That's probably three more days than all of June, July and August and I'm not even exaggerating. To top it off, we played a round of Dutch Blitz or Anomia after dinner. I don't even know what is happening anymore. The downside is that we need to cook dinner every day. That doesn't come easy for me. Chloe is stepping up and cooking tonight so I'm looking forward to that.

On Friday, we hung out with Teresa's daughter Gabrielle for a bit (during Neve's lunch; Gabrielle's school hadn't started yet). We went to Kawaii Crepe and made a little pit stop at the water taxi dock on Wellington and Jenna Rae Cakes. Later, my neighbours came for Happy Hour and we enjoyed the lovely fall-ish weather.




So far, Chloe seems to have more spare time than she did in high school. She's starting to get more assignments and her part-time job starts this week so I'm sure that will change soon. But in the meantime, she's started a quest to bake the perfect macaron. Her first try this weekend (red velvet) wasn't bad. But the egg whites didn't stiffen so the macarons were pretty dense. The recipe was supposed to make 25 filled cookies but there was only enough batter for seven. Hmmm. We'll see what next week brings.




Yesterday (Sunday) was a great day. We went for lunch with Bob, Janet & Tia after church. I hadn't been to Garbonzo's for about 25 years, but it was good.


After a long afternoon nap (after just telling Bob and Jan that I never nap), Dale and I went for a bike ride. Manyfest was going on downtown and there were blocked-off lanes for bikes all the way there. If only it could always be like that. We walked our bikes along Broadway and stopped to listen to some bands, then zipped over to Assiniboine Park, then to Assiniboine Forest, then home. It was such a perfect day for a bike ride.

Helmet hair, don't care. Actually it looks like that even when I haven't worn a helmet.
A hair appointment has been scheduled.


After dinner, Dale's mom joined us at BDI for ice cream. The line-up was super long as always, but it's all part of the experience. At least that's what we told the kids when they complained.



Bean the kitten is still here. Her rightful owner offered to pick her up last Friday but we postponed it for a few more days. She'll be going home this week though. If I wasn't so cold-hearted and didn't think only of myself, I would let her stay (if her owner would let us). The girls love her so much. They cuddle with her and play with her and can't wait to get home to see her.

But here's the problem: cats kind of scare me. They make sudden movements and pounce on my feet and jump up on the couch where I'm sitting. It scares me every single time. There's also the allergy issue. One of Neve's good friends was over on Saturday and despite taking Claritin before coming over, she was stuffed up the rest of the day. And sometimes Bean steps in her own poop and licks her paws clean and then licks Neve's face with that same tongue. I know this is all normal cat stuff and the cat people among you are going, "yeah, so??" But I'm just not wired that way. I wish I was. I'll admit she's cute. I don't mind seeing her from a distance. I love that the girls love her. But I just can't do it. Luckily Bean has a loving home to go to and we can just be happy for the time we've had her.


"I have succeeded in making Girl put down her book and give me all her attention."

1 comment:

someone said...

I am totally laughing at you being scared every time Bean moves. Oliver wakes us EVERY night by pouncing on our feet at about 4am. EVERY night. And he loves to paw at your feet when you're on the couch or even just standing in one spot. You would NOT enjoy living in our house. We, of course, think it's adorable. Well, maybe not the 4am part. He and Teddy get locked out of the bedroom at that point (Ollie cries outside the door if Teddy is not there with him).

Nice that it was an easy entry back to real life! I am trying to get used to a new schedule this week. I feel rather discombobulated.

xo Sio