Sunday, January 08, 2017

Coming up: 30 days

Today is the last day of my extended Christmas vacation. When the children were little and would go out with grandparents or something, I would be overcome with joy at the thought of freedom and time to myself. But then I'd panic and stress about how best to spend that precious time that I could hardly enjoy it.

That's how I feel today.

These past two weeks have been so relaxing, so peaceful, so quiet, and so filled with good family time. The cold (understatement) weather discourages us from going anywhere so we mostly keep to our schedule of reading, sleeping, puzzling, playing games and watching Gilmore Girls. I dread tomorrow morning with all my heart.

On the plus side, a little fresh air will probably be beneficial. Today Neve asked how to shake hands (?). When Chloe showed her how, Neve said, "Oh! That makes sense. I was trying to shake my own hand but it wasn't working."

It's definitely time to get out.

So I've been blogging - fairly consistently - for a long time. There have been dry spells here and there, especially in the last year. As the kids grow, I feel like I don't have much to talk about and it's so easy to just post a picture on Instagram. But the problem with Instagram is that I sometimes feel shy about posting (you wouldn't know it from all my posts) and feel like I'm forcing others to look at my life. With the blog, everyone who reads it comes here by choice (I know people can choose to unfollow on Instagram, but it's easier just to scroll past an annoying picture than unfollow someone).

On the blog, you also get more of the real story so you know that things are not usually as idyllic as they appear from a picture. Not that there's anything wrong with idyllic but reality is nice too.

All that to say that I still like blogging, even if it's not the cool thing to do anymore. Since I'm never one to care about being cool (as if), in an effort to get back to more regular posting I'm going to try and blog every day for the next 30 days. I did the same thing last January with the intent of capturing everyday moments of the kids. This year's series will probably have less focus and more randomness, but as a fallback for when I'm not sure what to write about, I'll write about the high and low of my day. Doesn't that sound riveting?! The highs are never very high in January but the lows can go pretty low, so that should be fun.

I'm not promising much in the way of pictures; after all my digital photo organizing (still in progress) I'm anti-photo right now.

I'll officially kick off my 30 days tomorrow, assuming I'm able to drag myself out of bed in the morning.

3 comments:

Daniel said...

Excellent!! We're ready over here. Bring it.

someone said...

totally ready!!!

i'll be checking back here every ten minutes until i go to bed...

neve shaking hands - too funny!!!

xo sio

Daniel said...

Oh yeah, I had a good laugh about Neve's hand shake! Makes me curious...