Sunday, February 05, 2017

Day 24

I'm not ready for the weekend to end. I always think I'll accomplish way more than I actually do. You'd think by my age, I'd know what's realistic and what's just crazy talk. But no. Or maybe my goals are realistic but I'm just older and slower and have less energy than I think I do. I like to think I have the same energy I did when I was 25, but maybe ... just maybe ... that's not true. Nah, that can't be it. I will continue to make unrealistic goals every weekend and be slightly disappointed in myself every Sunday night. It's gotten me this far.

Today was kind of exciting around here ... Spencer got his first cell phone. He's been totally anti-cell phone until recently, when he confided that not having a phone might be hindering his social life since that's how kids communicate and make plans with each other. I'm not one to push a cell phone on my kid but if he's at the point where he's ready to be more social, I'm not going to lie and say that doesn't make me a tiny bit relieved. Plus it will come in very handy to be able to communicate with him and vice versa. There have been too many occasions in the last couple of years where he's had to walk MILES to get home when his plans changed unexpectedly and he had no way to phone us to let us know. I know you're thinking, "Why didn't he call from a pay phone?" or "Couldn't he borrow someone's phone to call you?" Trust me, we asked those same questions and are still waiting for answers.

I'm not sure how much he'll actually use his phone though. When most people get a new phone, they are excited to set it up and download apps and play around with new features. Not Spencer. After he got home, he left it on the counter and went upstairs to read. He says he doesn't want to bother taking it to school either. It's going to be like his glasses all over again. He got a pair in fall to help him see the board at school but he has yet to bring them to school because he thinks they'll get lost or broken in his backpack. That was money well spent.

I've got a bunch of things happening this week so I'm going to get to bed at a reasonable hour and savour the last hour or so of my weekend. Hope yours was good and I wish you all a happy, healthy week.

2 comments:

someone said...

Spencer is hilarious.

And I also accomplish very little on my mental list of things to do on the weekend. It's all downhill right at the get go when my bed is just way too cozy to get out of...

xo Sio

someone said...

There must be something wrong with my computer. It won't load your latest posts after Sunday...

xo Sio

;)