Friday, April 28, 2017

Toronto



I've fallen (behind) and I can't get up. The past couple of weeks have been super busy so I'm going to do the quickest of updates to try and get on top of things.

I posted a bunch of Easter pics on Instagram so you've probably seen them already. If not, here are a couple. It was a fun weekend with one day spent with my family, one day spent with Dale's family and a relaxing day off in between.




Jumping forward a week, Chloe and I spent last weekend in Toronto. We had always dreamed of a mother-daughter trip somewhere, and when we found cheap flights to Toronto, we grabbed them. We flew with Newleaf, a new-ish discount airline. The flights were super cheap but the problem is that they fly into Hamilton, which is an hour from Toronto. We landed at 10:15 p.m. on Friday and then had to zip to the bus station in downtown Hamilton. We took the bus to Toronto, then the subway from Union Station to our apartment. There were a lot of moving parts involved in the process but fortunately it all worked like clockwork. Newleaf doesn't have the best reputation when it comes to reliability and punctuality so I was a bit concerned that our flight would be delayed and we'd miss the last bus to Toronto. That would mean an expensive cab ride to Toronto or spending the night in Hamilton. I was very thankful it all went so well. We used Uber for the first time ever to get from the airport to the bus station (and back again on our way home), and we rented our accommodations through AirBNB. We felt pretty cool.



We arrived at our AirBNB - a studio apartment on the 34th floor, right across from Eaton Centre - around midnight, checked in (we had to call our host to remotely buzz us into the building), and then walked around downtown and went for a bite to eat. There was a lot going on even at that hour and we were so excited to be there.


We spent all of Saturday and Sunday walking around, going to shops and restaurants and exploring Toronto. We rode the subway and the streetcar, checked out different neighbourhoods, and had dinner with friends Saturday night. There were lots of things that made me nostalgic for the days we lived there. I loved living there. I don't regret moving back home and living near family, but I'd love to go visit Toronto more often. There's so much going on and I'm in love with the vibrant neighbourhoods.

At Movenpick Marche, a restaurant Dale and I loved when we lived there


A guy offered to take a picture of us and suggested we hold our hands like this. I guess I could have said no but I didn't want to hurt his feelings.

Our AirBNB building

The view from our bed ...
... which happened to be right in the middle of the living room


Dinner with my good friend (I used to work with her) and her daughter.

Late night ice cream run to Sweet Jesus, a trendy place with a long lineup

The weather was beautiful - sunny and pleasant. On Sunday it was 18 degrees but much to my chagrin we spent a few hours inside in Eaton Centre mall until I could bear it no longer. At one point, a loud beeping alarm kept going off in the mall along with the announcement: "Please stand by. The fire department is looking into the issue. Do not use the elevators at this time. BEEEEP! BEEEEP! BEEEEP!" No one appeared to pay any heed to the alarm. The music in the store was super loud and Chloe was trying on clothes and asking my opinion and I couldn't hear myself think, never mind hear what she was saying - BEEEEP! BEEEEP! BEEEEP! - and I kept thinking of how gorgeous it was outside and it felt like my soul was being sucked out of me by a Dementor. So we walked down to the harbourfront and regained perspective.

Lunch at a crepe restaurant in Kensington Market

Cherry blossoms! Chloe got very tired of me freaking about every cherry blossom we saw

We made lots of good memories including eating dinner/breakfast at Fran's at 1:30 in the morning, an encounter with a sobbing girl in the elevator, lining up on a chilly evening for gourmet ice cream, trying to teach Chloe directions based on the always-visible CN Tower, walking in circles on the U of T campus, and watching the entire 13 Reasons Why Netflix series in one weekend. I had a lot of fun hanging out with just Chloe, which is something that doesn't happen very often. I wish we could make it an annual thing but there are two other kids that might start to feel resentful. Well, Spencer wouldn't care; in fact he would enjoy having two less people in the house.





We got back Monday and the rest of this week has been a blur; the days filled with work and the evenings with friends and family stuff. Happy Hour has been off-schedule lately, so my neigbour and I fit one in after work on Wednesday, then Siobhan came for dinner. And before that, my sister took me for a frappucino. It was a good day. Tonight the kids all had work or activities so Dale and I zipped out to my two-year-old great-niece's birthday party.

Cutie birthday girl!

Tomorrow night is another family event and then Saturday morning I'm off to Croatia on a Chamber trip. I'll try to post pics on Instagram when I can, but things will probably be quiet on the blog front for a while.

Hope you are all doing well and are happy and healthy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ack! You're off to Croatia already??
Have fun.
Sheri-Lee