Thursday, May 18, 2017

Clearing the mind / Mother's Day

It always takes me a while to get organized after a trip and this time is no exception. I feel like I'm running around like a chicken with its head chopped off. I don't know where to start with my list of things to do. Well, the problem might be that I don't actually have a list. There are many random thoughts in my head and my head is so full - not of wisdom or knowledge, but of clutter and crap - that there is nowhere for my thoughts to go. They just cram up against each other and get all squished and bent and crumpled. I can't even get my thoughts organized enough to transfer them to paper.

Waahhh. Woe is me. Life is rough. It was really hard to be taking in this view:


Right. Must gain perspective. Things are always frantic right before and after a trip but it's definitely, without a doubt Worth It.

So before I sit down and make myself write a list, I'm writing this to clear up space in my mind. It's not a trip update, but I'll get to that eventually.

First of all, it's spring! When I left for Europe, there were just a few tiny buds on a few trees. When I got back, things were already getting green and by now - a week later, the leaves and blossoms are almost in full bloom. I feel like I'm coming alive again. I love being outside but since I've been back, I've spent most of my time inside catching up on work. My plant order from Neve's school fundraiser arrives today so I'm looking forward to the long weekend ahead, planting and working in the yard.

As the school year wraps up, the calendar gets fuller. Neve has her gymnastics windup tonight, piano recital next week, choir performances coming up, and several grade 6 farewell activities to prepare for. Now that gymnastics is basically done, she'll have a lot more free time. That free time will mostly be spent doing gymnastics in our backyard and at the neighbours.

Even Spencer is involved in things lately. He is on both the junior and senior Reach for the Top teams at school. The senior team won a spot at nationals, so they're off to Toronto next week. I have yet to receive a single email or note regarding that trip so I'm starting to wonder if he is actually going. I would think the tickets would have to be booked by now but there have been no requests for ID or money. We need to sign permission slips for the kids to walk around the block, but apparently not to go to Toronto.

He's also signed up for dragon boating. I tried to play it cool and not show my shock and surprise or he would surely have un-signed up. I'm happy he is getting involved in things, but sadly it comes at a price. A friend is going on a quick road trip to Chicago to see U2 in concert and Dale and Spencer thought it was such a good idea that they wanted to copy their idea. They were about to buy the tickets online when Spencer realized it conflicted with his dragon boat race. That was the end of that; he didn't even entertain the thought of missing dragon boat to fulfill his dream of seeing U2. I admire his dedication to the team, but still.

Chloe spends her mornings sleeping, her afternoons watching Netflix, goes to work for a few hours, then makes popcorn and watches Gilmore Girls with me and Neve. It's a sweet life. She has been applying for summer jobs but the perfect opportunity has not yet presented itself. She will probably end up doing the same job she did last year; lifeguarding at an apartment building pool. She didn't want to do it again because she was bored silly last year, but the pay and flexibility are hard to turn down. Plus she gets to read a lot.

We had a lovely mother's day last Sunday. Dale and the kids made crepes for breakfast and gave me lots of nice gifts: jewelery, soap, candles, chocolate, an India book and two tops. Chloe is the ringleader behind all that and she knows me well.

Very natural posing going on ... this picture will probably turn up on Awkward Family Photos one day

Dale's mom came over for lunch and it was nice enough to sit out on the deck, which was wonderful.


For dinner, we went to Bob & Janet's for a delicious BBQ with my parents and siblings. We continued our annual tradition of multiple photo opps.

First all the moms

Then Mom and most of her children (we missed you, Dan!). This isn't the best photo of the bunch but it's the only picture you'll ever see with Greg hugging my head and I thought it deserved a spot on the blog. I should probably make it my Facebook cover photo too and get it printed on mugs and t-shirts.

Grandma with her grandchildren... missing a few.
This photo also warrants a spot. It's Jan winning the pogo stick contest.













Dale and I are very lucky to have both our moms, healthy and well. I'm at the age when that's not the case for many of my friends and I try not to take it for granted. But I still do. Sorry, Mom. But I love and appreciate you!

Okay, back to work. My head is a little clearer now. Oh, and if you want to come to India & Dubai with us in September, sign up now! The trip is getting close to being sold out and we've got an AWESOME group of people going. I'm not just saying that; half of them are my relatives! It's a good deal; for not much more than the price you'd pay for flights alone, you get luxury hotel accommodations, about half your meals, local guides, transportation, and a whole bunch of sightseeing!  Check it out here.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that picture of your mom and her kids. It's a great one. I can't imagine how the other pictures could be better.

That India trip looks amazing. And it would also satisfy my secret desire to hang out with the Friesen family and pretend to be a Friesen too. But, sigh, I used all my vacation time already. Boo.

Sheri-Lee

Daniel said...

Aww, love that pic with Mom and most of her kids - so happy! Is Greg hugging you or putting you in a head-lock? Whatever, it's cute! Wish I could have been in with the fun.

Yay Spencer!! I hope you're really going to Toronto!

Anonymous said...

Oh Shoot. Of course, Daniel, you know I meant most of her kids. When I saw the picture I actually had this little sadness that it's too bad not all the kids (thinking of you) were not there.

Plus, I'm not in that picture. :P Just kidding.
Sheri-Lee